Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to Connect Dlink Router to a Dlink Router?

How to Connect Dlink Router to a Dlink Router?

fgarvin2000NOSPAM@yahoo.com

Hi.

I know it can be done. What are the steps to connect a DLink DI-704 to
a Dlink DI604 which is connected to a cable modem?

That would be modem -> DI604 -> DI704P

So far I know I would connect the number 1 ports between the routers.

I thought I had to use a cross-over but someone said to turn on
'autosense' and I could use a straight through cable.

I know I have to change the admin IP on at least one of the routers.

I know I have set the ip ranges on one or both of them.

Any info or reference to a good explantion would be great.
Please email too if possible.
Thanks in advance.

Fred.

Please remove the NOSPAM

Micron

Try these as an example, and use a streight through cable. Crossover is only
for 2 PC's without a router/patch bay.

To get rid of the firewalled status for other clients from the Internet.
You have to forward the ports needed from your router to your PC.

use ipconfig on the dos prompt (start -> run -> cmd) to get your lokal IP
adress (perhaps something like 192.168.0.50)
look at the ports configured in (Server) -> Options -> Network (Tcp port :
xxxx, UPD port: yyyy) (assumed TCP 4662, UDP 4665, you can use what ever you
like but stay above 1024 and below 65535).

Go to your router configuration and enter these infos.
Replace 192.168.0.50 with your local IP address and ports 4662, 4665 with
these from Server:

D-Link DI604
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di604/Ma...al_052902F.zip

Open your webbrowser at http://192.168.0.1(default) to get in the
configuration menu.
Default username is "admin" and no password (leave blank).
Go to the advanced tab and insert two virtual servers(page 22):

Enabled: X
Name: overnet_tcp
Private IP: 192.168.0.50
Protocol Type: TCP
Private Port: 4662
Public Port: 4662
Schedule: always
Apply: X

Enabled: X
Name: overnet_udp
Private IP: 192.168.0.50
Protocol Type: UDP
Private Port: 4665
Public Port: 4665
Schedule: always
Apply: X

Normally these infos are automatically added and opend in the Firewall of
the router (page 31). If something is not working as it should take a look
at the firewall rules.
Two rules should have been added (page 31) and look perhaps like this:

Enabled: X
Name: overnet_tcp
Action: Allow
Source: *
Destination: LAN 192.168.0.50 192.168.0.50 TCP 4662 4662
Schedule: always
Apply: X

Enabled: X
Name: overnet_udp
Action: Allow
Source: *
Destination: LAN 192.168.0.50 192.168.0.50 UDP 4665 4665
Schedule: always
Apply: X

Dl-704P

Manaul: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di704/Ma...ual_082201.pdf

RTFM on page 8: Activate your browser, open settings, and disable the proxy
or add the IP address of the DI-704 into the exceptions box. Then, type the
DI-704?s IP address [for example (default setting): http://192.168.0.1] in
the Location (for Netscape) or Address (for IE) field and press ENTER.
After the connection is established, you will see the web user interface of
the DI-704. To log in as an administrator, enter the system password (the
factory setting is admin) in the System Password field and click on the Log
in button. If the password is correct, the web appearance will be changed
into administrator configure mode.

RTFM on page 14 "Virtual Servers", add two of them for both ports from
Overnet pointing to yout internal IP address of your PC. Don't forget to
check the "enable" button.
If you have enabled the DHCP server (page 13) perhaps you've got to assign
your PC a fix IP address (out of the range from the DHCP server) to ensure
that it has a always the same IP wich is neede for the routing.

Micron

http://www.experiencewindows.com
Professional Help & Support

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I know it can be done. What are the steps to connect a DLink DI-704 to
> a Dlink DI604 which is connected to a cable modem?
>
> That would be modem -> DI604 -> DI704P
>
> So far I know I would connect the number 1 ports between the routers.
>
> I thought I had to use a cross-over but someone said to turn on
> 'autosense' and I could use a straight through cable.
>
> I know I have to change the admin IP on at least one of the routers.
>
> I know I have set the ip ranges on one or both of them.
>
> Any info or reference to a good explantion would be great.
> Please email too if possible.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fred.
>
> Please remove the NOSPAM

fgarvin2000NOSPAM@yahoo.com

Michael,

THANKS. I have printed your reply and am studying it..

Fred

Please remove the NOSPAM