Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Formatting a slave drive problem

Formatting a slave drive problem

Glenn S

Hello..
I have a question regarding the formatting of a slave hard drive. First of
all I bought a new pc a few months ago. It came with 2 hard drives. My
primary one(c drive) is an 120gig and the secondary(d drive) or slave drive
is 20gig. I use windows xp professional. My problem is it wont allow me to
format my D drive via my computer. It gives me an error saying It cant
format a system volume. I went into disk management and it does give a
status of "system" under my d drive and "boot" under my c drive. Now, I
guess my question why can't I format this drive? I'm not going to use this
drive for anything but backups. I want it to be a standalone drive that has
nothing to do with my boot drive. I had this on my previous pc with 2 hard
drives but cant remember how I did it. Oh.. FYI.. Both these hard drives are
on a scsi card. They are not standard IDE drives. Could that be the issue?
Maybe the D really isn't really setup correctly to be a SLAVE drive?
Well, any help will be appreciated.

Glenn

farmhand

Try formatting in 'safe' boot.
"Glenn S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VlO5b.52316$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello..
> I have a question regarding the formatting of a slave hard drive. First of
> all I bought a new pc a few months ago. It came with 2 hard drives. My
> primary one(c drive) is an 120gig and the secondary(d drive) or slave

drive
> is 20gig. I use windows xp professional. My problem is it wont allow me to
> format my D drive via my computer. It gives me an error saying It cant
> format a system volume. I went into disk management and it does give a
> status of "system" under my d drive and "boot" under my c drive. Now, I
> guess my question why can't I format this drive? I'm not going to use this
> drive for anything but backups. I want it to be a standalone drive that

has
> nothing to do with my boot drive. I had this on my previous pc with 2 hard
> drives but cant remember how I did it. Oh.. FYI.. Both these hard drives

are
> on a scsi card. They are not standard IDE drives. Could that be the issue?
> Maybe the D really isn't really setup correctly to be a SLAVE drive?
> Well, any help will be appreciated.
>
> Glenn

GHalleck

Glenn S wrote:

> Hello..
> I have a question regarding the formatting of a slave hard drive. First of
> all I bought a new pc a few months ago. It came with 2 hard drives. My
> primary one(c drive) is an 120gig and the secondary(d drive) or slave drive
> is 20gig. I use windows xp professional. My problem is it wont allow me to
> format my D drive via my computer. It gives me an error saying It cant
> format a system volume. I went into disk management and it does give a
> status of "system" under my d drive and "boot" under my c drive. Now, I
> guess my question why can't I format this drive? I'm not going to use this
> drive for anything but backups. I want it to be a standalone drive that has
> nothing to do with my boot drive. I had this on my previous pc with 2 hard
> drives but cant remember how I did it. Oh.. FYI.. Both these hard drives are
> on a scsi card. They are not standard IDE drives. Could that be the issue?
> Maybe the D really isn't really setup correctly to be a SLAVE drive?
> Well, any help will be appreciated.
>
> Glenn

The problem is as stated...nothing wrong with SCSI. The Windows XP
OS files is on Drive D, or the "system". Drive C is the boot drive because
the boot sector and the boot files to find the OS, i.e., ntdetect.com, ntldr,
boot.ini and bootsect.dos are located there. Easy way out is to re-install
Windows XP so that the boot partition and the system partition are the
same, or on Drive C.