Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HDD not recognised, I've tried everything... I think.

Reply
Thread Tools

HDD not recognised, I've tried everything... I think.

 
 
Ken Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
Problem : I get this message when I boot. "Pri Master Hdd Error Run Setup Press F1 to resume "

It all started when after everything was running fine on the Samsung, I tried unconnecting the IDE leads to tidy them up and
reconnect them. I then got the above error message.

I should also add that before I put Win98se on the Samsung, I tried putting XP pro on both HDD's. XP wouldn't install on either.

New HDD - Samsung SV0411N 40gig
also tried Western Digital - WD 300 30gig

both not recognised

on the Samsung - Windows 98se (FAT32)
Western Digital - nothing but (NTFS)

I've tried securing the IDE leads and then replacing them.
I've flashed the BIOS
I've left the one HDD on the end of the lead and then the middle of the lead.
The jumper setting is on ,"Master" with no CD or other HDD attached.
I've tried both manufactures Disk fixing utilities, nothing. Just not recognised
Booted with Win98 boot disk. It says it can't find any partitions and says to run FDISK.
Tried FDISK. No HDD attached! So I can't run it.

Is the the Motherboard faulty? Broken connection in it somewhere?

A bit long-winded I know, but I'm sure you need all the facts.

Thanks for reading this,

Ken



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Boomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
Ken Smith wrote:
> Problem : I get this message when I boot. "Pri Master Hdd Error Run
> Setup Press F1 to resume "
>
> It all started when after everything was running fine on the Samsung,
> I tried unconnecting the IDE leads to tidy them up and reconnect
> them. I then got the above error message.
>
> I should also add that before I put Win98se on the Samsung, I tried
> putting XP pro on both HDD's. XP wouldn't install on either.
>
> New HDD - Samsung SV0411N 40gig
> also tried Western Digital - WD 300 30gig
>
> both not recognised
>
> on the Samsung - Windows 98se (FAT32)
> Western Digital - nothing but (NTFS)
>
> I've tried securing the IDE leads and then replacing them.
> I've flashed the BIOS
> I've left the one HDD on the end of the lead and then the middle of
> the lead.
> The jumper setting is on ,"Master" with no CD or other HDD attached.
> I've tried both manufactures Disk fixing utilities, nothing. Just not
> recognised
> Booted with Win98 boot disk. It says it can't find any partitions and
> says to run FDISK.
> Tried FDISK. No HDD attached! So I can't run it.
>
> Is the the Motherboard faulty? Broken connection in it somewhere?
>
> A bit long-winded I know, but I'm sure you need all the facts.


Can't tell you much, other than something is ****ed, but someone will be
along shortly to offer advice. In the meantime, you might like to look for
earlier posts on the same subject.

Rindler Sigurd would also like me to tell you that you should not jump off
the roof of your house. You might hurt yourself, apparently.

And as for posting, whatever you do, don't post in HTML. And if you want to
post test messages, please use a TEST group.

alt.test --------------------------------->
misc.test ------------------------------>
za.test --------------------------------->

The purpose of test newsgroups is to allow users to test
their news software and servers without annoying others.

FYI http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html

Thank You :-[*]




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HamMan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
<snip crap>

Is the HDD cable the right way up and the power in?

Also while you were 'tidying up' did u plug the master / slaves in the right
way?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kraftee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
HamMan wrote:
> <snip crap>
>
> Is the HDD cable the right way up and the power in?
>
> Also while you were 'tidying up' did u plug the master / slaves in
> the right way?


Did they partially unplug the ribbond lead from the motherboard.

It's funny how people break things & then make things worse by just
adding 'insult' to injury...

For instance it was working before they 'played' so they've flashed
the bios......DERRRRRRRR. Hint get it working before you play with
anything else, that way you only have one problem to solve at a time.

--
B-)
Life is pain.....
Deal with it!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Boomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
Kraftee wrote:
> HamMan wrote:
>> <snip crap>
>>
>> Is the HDD cable the right way up and the power in?
>>
>> Also while you were 'tidying up' did u plug the master / slaves in
>> the right way?

>
> Did they partially unplug the ribbond lead from the motherboard.


How the **** would HanMan know, unless he was there, you ****witted cuntox?




 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2003
For the sake of Google Groups archives. The problem was the Motherboard. I replaced it and everything is fine now.

Ken


 
Reply With Quote
 
Buffalo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003
Thanks for posting the solution.

"Ken Smith" ...
> For the sake of Google Groups archives. The problem was the Motherboard. I

replaced it and everything is fine now.
>
> Ken
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my laptop sata hdd crahed,can i use seagate portable hdd as laptopsata hdd through some convertors?? ashjas Computer Support 2 03-29-2008 07:24 PM
Anybody tried Acronis and transferring a win XP/NT HDD to anothermachine? q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 1 12-18-2007 08:07 AM
Is there such a product that makes an internal HDD to USB external HDD? scratch@akc.com Computer Support 6 04-29-2005 03:42 AM
Re: Win98 HDD can't see Win XP HDD Garnett Honeyson-Gandlechon Computer Support 3 08-05-2004 11:21 AM
Copying WinXP From one HDD to anther HDD jackman5 Computer Support 3 05-16-2004 04:44 PM



Advertisments