Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Breaking the 640k barrier in DOS

Breaking the 640k barrier in DOS

Sepi

Is there any way to extend the Dos memory over 640k?

I've heard,that gamers can do it.
I am using Win98.

Sepi

Things should be made as simple as possible- no simpler.
- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Sentient Fluid

"Sepi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way to extend the Dos memory over 640k?
>
> I've heard,that gamers can do it.
> I am using Win98.

*sigh* I *knew* I should have kept using DOS...

Use Google to search for EMS and XMS...

Here's a quick link explaing EMS a bit:
http://tinyurl.com/lutb

HTH

░Mike░

DOS Memory Optimisation
http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:42:34 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Sepi scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

William Poaster

This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
+0100, ┬░Mike┬░ uttered this:

>DOS Memory Optimisation
>http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games!

To the OP:-

The following should be put into Config.sys:
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
And replace DEVICE statements with DEVICEHIGH.
Any FILES statement replace with FILESHIGH
This is if you *don't* need EMS memory. If you *do* need EMS [which is doubtful
as only a handful of VERY old games needed it] then you have to use the RAM
flag, rather than NOEMS, in line two.

Then replace LOAD statements in AUTOEXEC.BAT with LOADHIGH.
It should give much the same results as Memmaker.

The MEM command with /d switch will show what's in memory.
mem /d
Adding the /p pauses the screen between pages.
mem /d /p

Note the sizes and loading sequence. You can edit the config.sys file
to place the items, like drivers, in size order by the largest first.. not at
the top of the file but just change the sequence where they are in
the file. This is basically what Memmaker does.

However if you do have Memmaker, fine!

--
"Normal service *maybe* resumed ASAP,
OTOH maybe not!"

░Mike░

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
William Poaster scrawled:

>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
>+0100, ░Mike░ uttered this:
>
>>DOS Memory Optimisation
>>http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

>IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
>I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
>'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
>Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
>Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games!

Yeah, I just pulled that link from my favorites, without checking it. :-/

<snip>

--
"That'll teach me!"

Shepę

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:42:34 GMT, In this world we created Sepi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Is there any way to extend the Dos memory over 640k?
>
>I've heard,that gamers can do it.
>I am using Win98.

http://www.sheppola.karoo.net/Memory.doc

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

William Poaster

This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:13:18
+0100, ┬░Mike┬░ uttered this:

>On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> William Poaster scrawled:
>
>>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
>>+0100, ┬░Mike┬░ uttered this:
>>
>>>DOS Memory Optimisation
>>>http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

>>IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
>>I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
>>'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
>>Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
>>Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games!

>Yeah, I just pulled that link from my favorites, without checking it. :-/
>
><snip>
>
>--
>"That'll teach me!"

Well like I said Mike, I don't *think* it had Memmaker, but
it's so long since I used 98......

░Mike░

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:38:53 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
William Poaster scrawled:

>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:13:18
>+0100, ░Mike░ uttered this:
>
>>On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> William Poaster scrawled:
>>
>>>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
>>>+0100, ░Mike░ uttered this:

>>>IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
>>>I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
>>>'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
>>>Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
>>>Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games!

>>Yeah, I just pulled that link from my favorites, without checking it. :-/
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>--
>>"That'll teach me!"

>Well like I said Mike, I don't *think* it had Memmaker, but
>it's so long since I used 98......

No, it doesn't. Memmaker is for DOS 6.x - Win9x runs on DOS 7.

Sentient Fluid

*sob*
That brings back so many fond memories!
Thanks William Poaster!
*sniffle*

--
Or was that mammaries.....?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

&
> Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games!
>

> To the OP:-
>
> The following should be put into Config.sys:
> DOS=HIGH,UMB
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
> And replace DEVICE statements with DEVICEHIGH.
> Any FILES statement replace with FILESHIGH
> This is if you *don't* need EMS memory. If you *do* need EMS [which is

doubtful
> as only a handful of VERY old games needed it] then you have to use the

RAM
> flag, rather than NOEMS, in line two.
>
> Then replace LOAD statements in AUTOEXEC.BAT with LOADHIGH.
> It should give much the same results as Memmaker.
>
> The MEM command with /d switch will show what's in memory.
> mem /d
> Adding the /p pauses the screen between pages.
> mem /d /p
>
> Note the sizes and loading sequence. You can edit the config.sys file
> to place the items, like drivers, in size order by the largest first.. not

at
> the top of the file but just change the sequence where they are in
> the file. This is basically what Memmaker does.
>
> However if you do have Memmaker, fine!
>
> >On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:42:34 GMT, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Sepi scrawled:
> >
> >>Is there any way to extend the Dos memory over 640k?
> >>
> >>I've heard,that gamers can do it.
> >>I am using Win98.
> >>

> >>Sepi

> --
> "Normal service *maybe* resumed ASAP,
> OTOH maybe not!"

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, William Poaster
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
>+0100, ░Mike░ uttered this:
>
>>DOS Memory Optimisation
>>http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

>IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
>I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
>'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
>Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
>Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games!

MemMaker sucked moose cock, QEMM was the ONLY way to go in
the DOS days.

--

Exxy is my hero!