Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Having problems with new Epson 3170 Perfection Photo Scanner

Having problems with new Epson 3170 Perfection Photo Scanner

Idris Alooma

I paid $213.00 for this scanner yesterday because it has very high
resolution and does all the things that I need.

However when I installed it the installation went ok, but when I clicked
on it to run it, it keeps asking for

The file "usbscan.sys" on Windows Professional CD-Rom is needed"

Unfortunately Windows XP doesn't support Epson Scanners so that file is
not on the CD-Rom.

There is a file by that name on the Epson install CDROM.

When I try and use it I get this message.

The software you are installing for this hardware

EPSON Perfection 3170

has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with
Windows XP.

Continuing your installation with this software may impair, or
destabilize the correct operation of your system. Either immediately,
or in the near future.

Microsoft recommends that you stop the installation now!

I went ahead and told it to continue and my system locked up and failed
to boot for the next two hours. Finally I figured out how to get it back
up and working. Then I un-installed the software and reinstalled it with
every other program shutdown. I still get the same message.

I went to www.EPSON.com and didn't find any answers there. No one will
be working there until Tuesday because of the holiday. I had really
hoped to get it working this evening.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to overcome what appears to be a
fatal error in this EPSON product?

Thanx in Advance

Idris!