Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > VCD takes long to encode

VCD takes long to encode

Hugh Sutherland

I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a way
to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or faster
memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
Would a faster processor or more memory help?

Hugh

B.Al.Zeebub

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:03:10 -0400, B.Al.Zeebub witnessed another prime
example of Darwinism when he read:

> I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
> encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
> Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a way
> to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or faster
> memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
> Would a faster processor or more memory help?
>

> Hugh

Yep. But you might be hard pushed to find a socket 370 Pentium III CPU
unless it's second hand. Might be time for a full system upgrade or new
put-put.

Rich

Hi just as an example, I used to have a p3 450 wiht 512mb ram and it used to
take me about 14 hours to encode a vcd onto one disk. I know have a p4 2ghz
with 1gb ram and it take around 3 hours if that!!!

Rich

"Hugh Sutherland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eah4b.5028$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
> encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
> Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a

way
> to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or

faster
> memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
> Would a faster processor or more memory help?
>

> Hugh

Ronald

news:6Mj4b.75$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi just as an example, I used to have a p3 450 wiht 512mb ram and it used

> take me about 14 hours to encode a vcd onto one disk. I know have a p4

2ghz
> with 1gb ram and it take around 3 hours if that!!!
>
> Rich
>

> "Hugh Sutherland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eah4b.5028$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
> > encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
> > Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a

> way
> > to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or

> faster
> > memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
> > Would a faster processor or more memory help?

2.4 Athlon, 512 mbytes memory takes between 4 to 5 hours to rip a DVD

Eddie Grant

> 2.4 Athlon, 512 mbytes memory takes between 4 to 5 hours to rip a DVD

Then that's one hell of a crap 2400+ (?) Athlon, this 1.7GHz P4 takes about
2.5-3hrs (DVD->VCD/SVCD)

candeh@thelast.mile

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:32:51 +0100, "Eddie Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> 2.4 Athlon, 512 mbytes memory takes between 4 to 5 hours to rip a DVD
>>

>Then that's one hell of a crap 2400+ (?) Athlon, this 1.7GHz P4 takes about
>2.5-3hrs (DVD->VCD/SVCD)

I wouldn't swear to it, but I think there are different benchmarks for
Athlons than there are for Pentiums. One thing's for sure, the A
doesn't stand up to the P whatsoever when playing games. A 2.0GHz
Athlon would be hard pressed to match your P4 1.7GHz in terms of
comparison. Let me add, AFAIK.

Barry OGrady

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:03:10 -0400, "Hugh Sutherland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
>encode the file before it even burns.

Does it take a long time to encode the file?

>For example a movie I D/L like
>Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a way
>to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or faster
>memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
>Would a faster processor or more memory help?

Probably only a faster processor.

>Hugh

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Barry OGrady

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:01:19 +0100, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Hugh Sutherland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:eah4b.5028$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
>> encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
>> Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a

>way
>> to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or

>faster
>> memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
>> Would a faster processor or more memory help?
>>

>> Hugh

>Hi just as an example, I used to have a p3 450 wiht 512mb ram and it used to
>take me about 14 hours to encode a vcd onto one disk. I know have a p4 2ghz
>with 1gb ram and it take around 3 hours if that!!!

My K6/500 with 192 megs RAM takes around ten times the running time to create a VCD.

>Rich

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Suenet

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:03:10 -0400, Hugh Sutherland wrote:

> I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
> encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
> Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a way
> to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or faster
> memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
> Would a faster processor or more memory help?
>

> Hugh

It takes a long time because your PC is all around inadequate.

Hugh Sutherland

Would it take less time to ENCODE MPEG4 movies instead of AVI files?
its the encoding that takes so damn long. Whatis it exactly doing?

Hugh

news(E-Mail Removed)...