Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for Suggestions on USB and other network possibilities

Looking for Suggestions on USB and other network possibilities

Rob

Hi,

While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to figure
out what I should do...

I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer the
files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?

My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
connection.

The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often. I've
heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me to
use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?

While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

-Rob

Robin Goodfellow

Wireless network would be easy for you to set up and wouldn't really cost
you that much. You can get a wireless Access point with 4 port Ethernet
router for around 50 (Probably less if you aren't in the UK) this will plug
into your phone line instead of your ADSL modem. For the laptop you could
get an internal warless card for around 50 or a USB external version for
20. With this setup it would mean you could then add additional computers
with ease and share internet connection, printers etc. Plus you get to sit
and watch TV while checking your emails, you would be amazed how much
enjoyment I get from doing this!!!

The USB option is another way to go about it, you can buy a USB network hub
for around 25 I think, then you just plug a USB cable into each machine.

Another alternative would be to use a cross-over Ethernet cable, assuming
both machines have network cards this would only cost you 5.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
> absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to

figure
> out what I should do...
>
> I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer

the
> files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?
>
> My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
> connection.
>
> The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often.

I've
> heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
> possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me

> use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?
>
> While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
> it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions and help.
>
> -Rob

Sentient Fluid

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
> absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to

figure
> out what I should do...
>
> I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer

the
> files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?
>
> My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
> connection.
>
> The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often.

I've
> heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
> possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me

> use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?
>
> While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
> it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Do both computers have an RJ45 (ethernet) connection? I belive youcan set
up a simple network between the two computers using a crossover cable...

I'll see what I can find, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump
in and correct me

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

Some time, on or about: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:16:16 +0100, "Robin
Goodfellow" <(E-Mail Removed)> was criminally insane in my
professional opinion when they claimed the following balderdash:

>Wireless network would be easy for you to set up and wouldn't really cost
>you that much. You can get a wireless Access point with 4 port Ethernet
>router for around £50 (Probably less if you aren't in the UK) this will plug
>into your phone line instead of your ADSL modem.

Bzzzt! Wrong. The router plugs into the DSL modem and it has to be
setup to use PPOE. Then you setup the 2 machines using the wireless
ethernet cards. XP comes with the connection protocol installed, W2K
does not.

>For the laptop you could
>get an internal warless card for around £50 or a USB external version for
>£20. With this setup it would mean you could then add additional computers
>with ease and share internet connection, printers etc. Plus you get to sit
>and watch TV while checking your emails, you would be amazed how much
>enjoyment I get from doing this!!!
>
>The USB option is another way to go about it, you can buy a USB network hub
>for around £25 I think, then you just plug a USB cable into each machine.
>
>Another alternative would be to use a cross-over Ethernet cable, assuming
>both machines have network cards this would only cost you £5.

By far the cheapest method would be to buy a regular 4 port ethernet
router that uses RJ45 cable. They run about $2o US. The router
automatically setups the IP addresses using TCP/IP using DHCP. Then
you can go in and setup one of the C drives to be shared and happily
transfer the files between the 2 PCs. An added bonus is that unlike
wireless networks, where you have to setup encryption on the network
connections, the connections are pretty much secure. If you live in
the city and use a wireless network, any little **** with a laptop and
a wireless network card can use your router as access to your Internet
connection unless you setup encryption.

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

>"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
>> absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to

>figure
>> out what I should do...
>>
>> I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer

>the
>> files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?
>>
>> My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
>> connection.
>>
>> The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often.

>I've
>> heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
>> possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me

>> use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?
>>
>> While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
>> it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions and help.
>>
>> -Rob

Willard

"Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<6De4b.874734$(E-Mail Removed) .ca>...
> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
> > absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to

> figure
> > out what I should do...
> >
> > I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer

> the
> > files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?
> >
> > My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
> > connection.
> >
> > The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often.

> I've
> > heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
> > possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me

> > use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?
> >
> > While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
> > it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions and help.

> Do both computers have an RJ45 (ethernet) connection? I belive youcan set
> up a simple network between the two computers using a crossover cable...
>
> I'll see what I can find, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump
> in and correct me

Radio Shack has "USB Link-Networking Cable" about $45(I think)..

Willard

BJ

Surely if your not going to transfer files often, you may just wanna get a
usb infra red port for you desktop machine and link them via infra red. Far
less hassle than setting up a network.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> While I consider myself a decently knowledgeable computer person, I know
> absolutely nothing about networking. So I am asking this question to

figure
> out what I should do...
>
> I have my home PC and I now have a laptop from work. I want to transfer

the
> files from the laptop to my home PC. What is the best way to do this?
>
> My home PC has Windows XP and the laptop has Win 2000. I also have a DSL
> connection.
>
> The transferring of files between the machine won't happen very often.

I've
> heard of transferring between the two with a special USB cable. Is this
> possible? And if so, what cable should I get? It was also suggested to me

> use a wireless connection (also with the USB), what do you think?
>
> While it would be cool to setup a wireless network at home, I thought that
> it was a bit overkill for what I want to do.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions and help.
>
> -Rob

Robin Goodfellow

Would you like me to show you a router with built in DSL modem ???? Why buy
a router when he can get one of these for a few pounds more???

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/uk/m.../I/113801.html

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-se...cturer&cs=Home

there's a page full of them for you to ponder over

news:(E-Mail Removed)...