Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Copying a song onto your computer' hardrive

Copying a song onto your computer' hardrive

nickial

I run Win98 SE. I have downloaded a song and burned it onto a CD using
Nero. I am now trying to make a "copy" of the song back onto the hardrive
of my computer.

I'm having problems copying this .cda file back onto my hardrive. Everytime
I put the CD into my CD-Rom drive and Open the CD, it just shows the icon
for the track as a "shortcut". It does not display the whole file. I have
a feeling that I have burned the song as a "read only" and cannot copy the
song back onto my hardrive....

Can anyone help?

---

°Mike°

The .cda file *is* just a pointer file. You will have to re-record it
to your hard drive. Try GoldWave.
http://www.goldwave.com/

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:53:03 GMT, in
<3w54b.306772$o%2.140704@sccrnsc02>
nickial scrawled:

>I run Win98 SE. I have downloaded a song and burned it onto a CD using
>Nero. I am now trying to make a "copy" of the song back onto the hardrive
>of my computer.
>
>I'm having problems copying this .cda file back onto my hardrive. Everytime
>I put the CD into my CD-Rom drive and Open the CD, it just shows the icon
>for the track as a "shortcut". It does not display the whole file. I have
>a feeling that I have burned the song as a "read only" and cannot copy the
>song back onto my hardrive....
>
>Can anyone help?
>

>---

Basic computer maintenance

jeroen

In article <3w54b.306772$o%2.140704@sccrnsc02>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> I run Win98 SE. I have downloaded a song and burned it onto a CD using
> Nero. I am now trying to make a "copy" of the song back onto the hardrive
> of my computer.
>
> I'm having problems copying this .cda file back onto my hardrive. Everytime
> I put the CD into my CD-Rom drive and Open the CD, it just shows the icon
> for the track as a "shortcut". It does not display the whole file. I have
> a feeling that I have burned the song as a "read only" and cannot copy the
> song back onto my hardrive....
>
> Can anyone help?

You'll have to "rip" it again to your harddisk.

Try cdex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ it allows you to rip as .wav
(big files, perfect quality) or .mp3 (smaller files, almost perfect
quality)

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
Jeroen Wijnands

Patrick

nickial wrote:
> I run Win98 SE. I have downloaded a song and burned it onto a CD
> using Nero. I am now trying to make a "copy" of the song back onto
> the hardrive of my computer.
>
> I'm having problems copying this .cda file back onto my hardrive.
> Everytime I put the CD into my CD-Rom drive and Open the CD, it just
> shows the icon for the track as a "shortcut". It does not display
> the whole file. I have a feeling that I have burned the song as a
> "read only" and cannot copy the song back onto my hardrive....
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> ---

I just tested what you say (prerecorded CD) and could not just copy from CD
to HD cos it just copied a shortcut (as you say).
Anyway, presumeing that your CD actually plays by itself then what can (or
has to) be done is to copy the tracks to HD using 'Windows Media Player'
(WMP).
Above said I have just done myself, and have tested.
I am using the WMP in XP so don't know how your WMP might work (set up
things and that).

Hope this has helped.