Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help needed on ext. Maxtor 5000LE not formatted???

Help needed on ext. Maxtor 5000LE not formatted???

js

Could someone help me please,

I have an external Maxtor drive 5000LE 80 gig I used and moved around 5
pc's.

Yesterday, WindosXP Pro did not recognise it anymore. The drive is listed
in the directory tree but when I click on it, windows says this drive is not
formatted, do you want to format it now ...

I tried on another pc, also did re-instal the driver, but with the same
results. When I right click on the drive to see the Properties, I see 0
Used space 0 Free space and 0 Capacity ...

I did download a trial copy of EasyRecovery software from Ontrack, and this
software sees all my data.

Should I purchase a working copy of it ($200.00) and try to recover my data
or is there another option that I overlooked?

Thanks for the help,

John

paul s

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:45:33 -0400, js wrote:

> Could someone help me please,
>
> I have an external Maxtor drive 5000LE 80 gig I used and moved around 5
> pc's.
>
> Yesterday, WindosXP Pro did not recognise it anymore. The drive is listed
> in the directory tree but when I click on it, windows says this drive is not
> formatted, do you want to format it now ...
>

> I tried on another pc, also did re-instal the driver, but with the same
> results. When I right click on the drive to see the Properties, I see 0
> Used space 0 Free space and 0 Capacity ...
>

> I did download a trial copy of EasyRecovery software from Ontrack, and this
> software sees all my data.
>
> Should I purchase a working copy of it ($200.00) and try to recover my data
> or is there another option that I overlooked?

The moral is. Don't keep all your data on one harddrive. Back it up to a
CD or something.

--
Paul S
- The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on. -