Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Buying a new processor

Buying a new processor

Xenoni

I'm buying a new processor to my MSI K7T266 Pro2 motherboard and I know it
should only support AMD processors up to 2100+ Palomino, but I got this tip
that I could use Thoroughbred processors too (maybe even Bartons, I really
don't know). It said something about taking condensator C37 off. But will it
work? If it does, what processor will work with the moderation? I heard
someone saying that it would workonly with Thoroughbred 2200+, but that's
the thing I don't know. I hope someone here knows.

Kim And John Holtz

Hi.

Check this out before you do anything.
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_serv...0876cb4eefc45b

Cheers

"Xenoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:biphpr$ffb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm buying a new processor to my MSI K7T266 Pro2 motherboard and I know it
> should only support AMD processors up to 2100+ Palomino, but I got this

tip
> that I could use Thoroughbred processors too (maybe even Bartons, I really
> don't know). It said something about taking condensator C37 off. But will

it
> work? If it does, what processor will work with the moderation? I heard
> someone saying that it would workonly with Thoroughbred 2200+, but that's
> the thing I don't know. I hope someone here knows.

B.Al.Zeebub

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:55:56 +0300, B.Al.Zeebub witnessed another prime
example of Darwinism when he read:

> but I got this tip
> that I could use Thoroughbred processors too (maybe even Bartons, I really
> don't know). It said something about taking condensator C37 off. But will it
> work? If it does, what processor will work with the moderation?

Repeat after me:
I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
[...]

why?

Beelzebub said:
> Repeat after me:
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.

B.Al.Zeebub

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:15:10 +0300, B.Al.Zeebub witnessed another prime
example of Darwinism when he read:

> why?

Because if you want a quick performance boost you are better off
increasing the RAM available to your system. Increasing CPU cycles from
2Ghz to 2.2Ghz won't really be that noticable. Increasing CPU cycles from
500Mhz to 1.5Ghz will be noticeable, as would an increase from 1.5Ghz to
3.0Ghz. Then there's the FSB of the processor, ATA of your hard drive,
architecture of the motherboard to consider, and your Operating System
which can be tweaked to improve performance. Go to the two links below for
technical info on MSI motherboards and AMD processors. Use Google to find
performance tweaks for your OS. Take your RAM out to the max your
motherboard will support.

http://tinyurl.com/lowe

http://tinyurl.com/lowj

Mike0000

Good advice, also benchmark your hard drive and compare it to new ones on
the market. Drive performance and RAM will make all the difference unless
your computer renders 3D all day. The biggest performance upgrade on this
machine was upgrading an old 5400 disk to a modern 7200 rpm drive with 8
megs of cache. I went from a 750mhz Duron to a 1.4 mhz Duron and don't see
it unless I'm encoding video or audio.

--
Mike

Block web ads
http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

"B.Al.Zeebub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:15:10 +0300, B.Al.Zeebub witnessed another prime
> example of Darwinism when he read:
>
> > why?

> Because if you want a quick performance boost you are better off
> increasing the RAM available to your system. Increasing CPU cycles from
> 2Ghz to 2.2Ghz won't really be that noticable. Increasing CPU cycles from
> 500Mhz to 1.5Ghz will be noticeable, as would an increase from 1.5Ghz to
> 3.0Ghz. Then there's the FSB of the processor, ATA of your hard drive,
> architecture of the motherboard to consider, and your Operating System
> which can be tweaked to improve performance. Go to the two links below for
> technical info on MSI motherboards and AMD processors. Use Google to find
> performance tweaks for your OS. Take your RAM out to the max your
> motherboard will support.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/lowe
>
> http://tinyurl.com/lowj

Patrick

B.Al.Zeebub wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:55:56 +0300, B.Al.Zeebub witnessed another
> prime example of Darwinism when he read:
>
>> but I got this tip
>> that I could use Thoroughbred processors too (maybe even Bartons, I
>> really don't know). It said something about taking condensator C37
>> off. But will it work? If it does, what processor will work with the
>> moderation?

> Repeat after me:
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.
> I will not attempt to modify my motherboard.

BARTon (geddit)