Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > But what does it all mean ????

But what does it all mean ????

BasketCase

Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl and
pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.

And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?

How/why would one do such a thing?

What's to be learned? ( apart from the obvious )

Just curious.

---

Gordon Burgess-Parker

It means that you can copy and paste that if you wish to report a spammer
(amongst other things....)

"BasketCase" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:biodti$our$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl and
> pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
>
> And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?
>
> How/why would one do such a thing?
>
> What's to be learned? ( apart from the obvious )
>
> Just curious.
>

> ---

Mara

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:40 +0100, BasketCase wrote:

>Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl and
>pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
>
>And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?
>
>How/why would one do such a thing?

Because it allows you, if you know how to read headers , to identify the
_actual_ source of the e-mail. And to do something about it, in the case of
spam/forgeries.

--
"Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable
from malice." -- Vernon Schryver

Jimchip

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:40 +0100, BasketCase wrote:
> Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl and
> pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
>
> And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?

It's the full text of the complete email including the headers. The
complete header sequence (all the "received by", etc) has to be analyzed
if one is going to be sure about the origin.

Interpreting headers:
http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/tracking.html
http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html

spam FAQs:
http://www.spamfaq.net/
http://ddi.digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html
http://www.cauce.org/about/faq.shtml
http://www.spamhaus.org/
http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/emailfaq.html

--
"Why can't somebody give us a list of things that everybody thinks and
nobody says, and another list of things that everybody says and nobody

BasketCase

"Gordon Burgess-Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bioehv$blu5h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> It means that you can copy and paste that if you wish to report a spammer
> (amongst other things....)

Thanks for the reply Gordon. What sort of other things..?

---

Liz

"BasketCase" wrote:

> "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bioehv$blu5h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > It means that you can copy and paste that if you wish to report a spammer
> > (amongst other things....)

> Thanks for the reply Gordon. What sort of other things..?

NNTP-Posting-Host

This sort of things.

BasketCase

"Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:40 +0100, BasketCase wrote:
> > Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl

and
> > pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
> >
> > And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?

> It's the full text of the complete email including the headers. The
> complete header sequence (all the "received by", etc) has to be analyzed
> if one is going to be sure about the origin.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

These first two links you posted are what I was looking for. Many thanx
Jimchip. "Lang mae yir lum reek!"

> Interpreting headers:
> http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/tracking.html
> http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html
>
> spam FAQs:
> http://www.spamfaq.net/
> http://ddi.digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html
> http://www.cauce.org/about/faq.shtml
> http://www.spamhaus.org/
> http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/emailfaq.html
> >
> > How/why would one do such a thing?
> >
> > What's to be learned? ( apart from the obvious )
> >
> > Just curious.

> --
> "Why can't somebody give us a list of things that everybody thinks and
> nobody says, and another list of things that everybody says and nobody
> thinks?" --Oliver Wendall Holmes

---

Patrick

Why not update your AVG ! 28/08/0 312

BasketCase wrote:
> "Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:40 +0100, BasketCase wrote:
>>> Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding
>>> Ctrl and pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
>>>
>>> And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?

>> It's the full text of the complete email including the headers. The
>> complete header sequence (all the "received by", etc) has to be
>> analyzed if one is going to be sure about the origin.

> Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
>
> These first two links you posted are what I was looking for. Many
> thanx Jimchip. "Lang mae yir lum reek!"
>
> > Interpreting headers:
>> http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/tracking.html
>> http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html
>>
>> spam FAQs:
>> http://www.spamfaq.net/
>> http://ddi.digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html
>> http://www.cauce.org/about/faq.shtml
>> http://www.spamhaus.org/
>> http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/emailfaq.html
>>>
>>> How/why would one do such a thing?
>>>
>>> What's to be learned? ( apart from the obvious )
>>>
>>> Just curious.

>> --
>> "Why can't somebody give us a list of things that everybody thinks
>> and nobody says, and another list of things that everybody says and
>> nobody thinks?" --Oliver Wendall Holmes

> ---

BasketCase

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SHS3b.1611$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why not update your AVG ! 28/08/0 312

Just read your message Patrick. Been having probs getting download. My
free version is set to automatically download new updates and when I try to
update it says that I have the latest already!

Read in another ng that people were having similar trouble too so going to
try again after posting.

---