Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > - Need math help on toner coverage

- Need math help on toner coverage

Patrick

Mr. Smiley wrote:
> The Old Sourdough wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:37:26 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
>> boggled at the following statement by Bebop & Rocksteady in message

>>> and if it is going North or South...
>>>

>> And whether it is East or West of Chicago....

> [6/5]X33000?

Correct (as far as I know), but allow me to quote the OP, note second
paragraph.

Quote:

If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
copies would it make at only 5% coverage.

Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
come up again.

Thanks!

EndQuote

Mr. Smiley

Patrick wrote:
> Mr. Smiley wrote:
>> The Old Sourdough wrote:
>>> On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:37:26 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
>>> boggled at the following statement by Bebop & Rocksteady in message

>>> And whether it is East or West of Chicago....

>> [6/5]X33000?

> Correct (as far as I know), but allow me to quote the OP, note second
> paragraph.
>
> Quote:
>
> If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
> copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
>
> Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
> come up again.
>
> Thanks!
>
> EndQuote

Sorry, can't say, just a wild ass guess. Ink use wasn't it? Coverage = % of
paper inked? Seems link 6/5 X 33000 would be your answer. [ assuming a
linear extrapolation ].

--
the abominable toner
http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

Gary Danaher

Here's a new approach. You are using 1/6 less toner per page and 1/6 of
33,000 pages is 5,500 pages, so the increase would be what was saved on
the 5,500 pages , hence totalling 38,500 pages per cartridge.......

bb3 wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bilq2b$ce$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>>Hello Everybody,
>>>
>>>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
>>>
>>>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
>>>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
>>>
>>>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
>>>come up again.
>>>
>>>Thanks!

>>some previous answers seem to forget the following:
>>
>>for the fixed amount of toner in the cartridge,
>>lowering percentage coverage REDUCES amount of toner PER PAGE
>>so would INCREASE the TOTAL number of pages printable
>>

>>So, for 33,000 pages @ 6% coverage
>>

>> 6/5 = 1.2
>>
>> so 33,000 * 1.2 = 39,600
>>

>>or putting it another way:
>>

>> 33,000 * 6 = 198,000
>>
>> 198,000 / 5 = 39,600
>>

> Thanks. That's where I got it wrong. 6/5 = 33,000/x....33,000 * 5 =
> 165,000/6 = 27,500 not the other way around as in my previous post.

Mr. Smiley

Gary Danaher wrote:
> Here's a new approach. You are using 1/6 less toner per page and 1/6
> of 33,000 pages is 5,500 pages, so the increase would be what was
> saved on the 5,500 pages , hence totalling 38,500 pages per
> cartridge.......
>
> bb3 wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bilq2b$ce$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> "mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> some previous answers seem to forget the following:
>>>
>>> for the fixed amount of toner in the cartridge,
>>> lowering percentage coverage REDUCES amount of toner PER PAGE
>>> so would INCREASE the TOTAL number of pages printable
>>>

>>> So, for 33,000 pages @ 6% coverage
>>>

>>> 6/5 = 1.2
>>>
>>> so 33,000 * 1.2 = 39,600
>>>

>>> or putting it another way:
>>>

>>> 33,000 * 6 = 198,000
>>>
>>> 198,000 / 5 = 39,600
>>>

>> Thanks. That's where I got it wrong. 6/5 = 33,000/x....33,000 * 5 =
>> 165,000/6 = 27,500 not the other way around as in my previous post.

We have millions of high tech workers, and billions of illiterate ones in
all colors.

--
the abominable toner
(E-Mail Removed)