Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > - Need math help on toner coverage

- Need math help on toner coverage

fkasner

°Mike° wrote:

> It would make 27,500 - do the rest of your homework yourself;
> that's how you will truly learn. Look up percentages in your
> reference books.
>

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:40:30 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> mary wei scrawled:
>

>>Hello Everybody,
>>
>>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
>>
>>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
>>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
>>
>>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
>>come up again.
>>
>>Thanks!

Another dummy who thinks that using less toner per print leads to fewer
prints from the cartridge. Sounds like somebody who works at the White
House telling us how beneficial their economic policies are to us.
FK

PhilÅ

"fkasner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IOt3b.16356$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
> bb3 wrote:
>
> > "mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Hello Everybody,
> >>
> >>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
> >>
> >>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
> >>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
> >>
> >>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
> >>come up again.
> >>
> >>Thanks!

> > 33,000 * 5 = 165,000/6 = 27,500???
> >

> Can't you see that that result is clearly incorrect! You use less tone
> per print and thus get fewer prints? Clearly need some ability to reason!
> FK

If you use less toner per page, 6% down to 5% then you will get MORE
pages...

bb3

"fkasner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IOt3b.16356$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
> bb3 wrote:
>
> > "mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Hello Everybody,
> >>
> >>Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
> >>
> >>If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
> >>copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
> >>
> >>Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
> >>come up again.
> >>
> >>Thanks!

> > 33,000 * 5 = 165,000/6 = 27,500???
> >

> Can't you see that that result is clearly incorrect! You use less tone
> per print and thus get fewer prints? Clearly need some ability to reason!
> FK

What did you think the question marks were for? Idiot.

news:(E-Mail Removed)

"mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Everybody,
>
> Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
>
> If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
> copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
>
> Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
> come up again.
>
> Thanks!

some previous answers seem to forget the following:

for the fixed amount of toner in the cartridge,
lowering percentage coverage REDUCES amount of toner PER PAGE
so would INCREASE the TOTAL number of pages printable

So, for 33,000 pages @ 6% coverage

6/5 = 1.2

so 33,000 * 1.2 = 39,600

or putting it another way:

33,000 * 6 = 198,000

198,000 / 5 = 39,600

PhilÅ

Yep, I am still awaiting the apology from oMIKEo..

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bilq2b$ce$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello Everybody,
> >
> > Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
> >
> > If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
> > copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
> >
> > Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
> > come up again.
> >
> > Thanks!

> some previous answers seem to forget the following:
>
> for the fixed amount of toner in the cartridge,
> lowering percentage coverage REDUCES amount of toner PER PAGE
> so would INCREASE the TOTAL number of pages printable
>

> So, for 33,000 pages @ 6% coverage
>

> 6/5 = 1.2
>
> so 33,000 * 1.2 = 39,600
>

> or putting it another way:
>

> 33,000 * 6 = 198,000
>
> 198,000 / 5 = 39,600

Liz

"mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Hello Everybody,
>
> Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
>
> If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
> copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
>
> Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
> come up again.

Divide 6 by 5 = 1.2

Then multiply 33,000 x 1.2 = 39,600 copies.

Courtesy of Liz's husband.

°Mike°

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:45:41 +0100, in
<bilplr$audmo$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
PhilÅ scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:47 +0100, in
>> <biloid$aj6m9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
>> PhilÅ scrawled:
>>

>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >Of course you would... at 6% coverage you get 33,000 pages, so at only 3%
>> >coverage (Half the toner used for each page) you would get 66,000

>pages.....
>> >So as the question was if 6% is 33,000 what is 5% coverage, less toner

>used
>> >more pages, I work it out at 38,500 pages at 5% coverage.

>> You are mis-interpreting "coverage". Coverage is the percentage
>> of a page surface that is 'covered' by the ink. Therefore, the higher
>> the percentage of coverage, the more ink is used, and the less
>> copies you will get. The industry standard is 5% coverage.
>>

>Yes I understand that, the original question was at 6% coverage gives 33,000
>what would 5% give, well the answer is more not less....

You're right. Excuse me while I slink away and bury my head.... )

bb3

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:45:41 +0100, in
> <bilplr$audmo$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> PhilÅ scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:47 +0100, in
> >> <biloid$aj6m9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> >> PhilÅ scrawled:

3%

> >pages.....

> >used
> >>
> >> You are mis-interpreting "coverage". Coverage is the percentage
> >> of a page surface that is 'covered' by the ink. Therefore, the higher
> >> the percentage of coverage, the more ink is used, and the less
> >> copies you will get. The industry standard is 5% coverage.
> >>

> >Yes I understand that, the original question was at 6% coverage gives

33,000
> >what would 5% give, well the answer is more not less....

> You're right. Excuse me while I slink away and bury my head.... )

I'll join you.

I think I need a refresher course.

Patrick

Patrick wrote:
> mary wei wrote:
>> Hello Everybody,
>>
>> Is someone good at math. I'm trying to figure out toner coverage.
>>
>> If a toner cartridge makes 33,000 copies at 6% coverage, how many
>> copies would it make at only 5% coverage.
>>
>> Please show me how you got the answer as I'm sure this is going to
>> come up again.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Heres my answer without reading anyone elses reply.
> (wake up the boy at the back)
>
> 6% = (6/100) = 0.06
> 5% = (5/100) = 0.05
>
> 33000*0.06=1980
>
> 1980*0.05=39600

divide ^ I meant

°Mike°

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:02:35 GMT, in
<L5u3b.118841$(E-Mail Removed)>
bb3 scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>> You're right. Excuse me while I slink away and bury my head.... )
>>

>I'll join you.
>
>I think I need a refresher course.

That makes two of us.

--
"I wonder if any of my teachers are still alive."