Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: file transfer help...please...

Re: file transfer help...please...

jcaruso56

I don't have cat 5 on my old gateway,...just serial and usb ports ...I am
still totally lost on this(2 days now).....dell customer support is a
joke....I will probably send the computer back.....anyone have any
suggestions ....?
thanks....jeff

"Adam Gross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would highly recommend just going out and picking up a 4-port switch
> and 2 cat5 cables. That'll set you back $50 or so, but it'll be
> exponentially faster, always available, and most importantly, easy as hell
> to troubleshoot if something breaks down.
>
> -Adam
>
> "jcaruso56" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi...... I've got two computers connected with a direct parallel
> > cable (serial)...and I've ran the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard on

> both
> > computers(new one has xp pro,old one has ME)....the autodetect just
> > searches and searches to the point where I give up and
> > stop the wizard! Am I doing (or not doing) something wrong? I read all

> the
> > hookups and different ways of transferring through the help and support
> > section......I even tried tech support(Dell ,microsoft) to no avail..

> please
> > help; thanks , jeff

Gordon Burgess-Parker

have you tried using the USB ports to do the transfer?
Or, even better, remove the HDD from the old machine and install it as a
slave in the new.