Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Conflict I/O Port 2F8

Conflict I/O Port 2F8

Bill Dobbs

This is on an old PIII 450 mhz computer with an Award BIOS v1.0a which I am
using as a back-up. During the boot process I get the message "Conflict I/O
Ports 2F8", immediately after detecting the drives. Then I get the message
at the bottom of the screen "press F1 to continue or delete to enter setup".
The computer seems to work okay, but I would like to fix it so it would boot
properly.

Thanks,
Bill

why?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:38:17 -0400, Bill Dobbs wrote:

>This is on an old PIII 450 mhz computer with an Award BIOS v1.0a which I am
>using as a back-up. During the boot process I get the message "Conflict I/O
>Ports 2F8", immediately after detecting the drives. Then I get the message

One of the serial communication (COM ports) conflicting with something
else.

COM1 3F8 IRQ4
COM2 2F8 IRQ3
COM3 3E8 IRQ4
COM4 2E8 IRQ3

Depends on what other hardware you have installed. You could try the
'Delete' to enter setup and look for the list something like this (I
don't have access to the Award Manual....

IDE Primary - Enable/Disable
IDE Secondary - Enable/Disable
COM1 - Enable/Disable
COM2 - Enable/Disable.

Found it, it's the Integrated Peripherals (screen) settings.

If you don't have a serial mouse / external modem both connected you may
not be using both COM ports. If the external port marked COM2 or 'B' is
unused you can disable it with the BIOS option. This would leave the
address 2F8/IRQ3 free for something else to use.

Would you have in internal modem installed, one where the telephone
cable plugs into a card in the back of the PC? That's maybe the conflict
com 3/4?

>at the bottom of the screen "press F1 to continue or delete to enter setup".
>The computer seems to work okay, but I would like to fix it so it would boot

<snip>

Me

Michael O'Mahony

Do you have an internal modem? If you do I would guess that this is the
conflict. go into the 'setup' and disable one od the com ports using
this address (prbably com2).

Mike

Bill Dobbs wrote:
> This is on an old PIII 450 mhz computer with an Award BIOS v1.0a which I am
> using as a back-up. During the boot process I get the message "Conflict I/O
> Ports 2F8", immediately after detecting the drives. Then I get the message
> at the bottom of the screen "press F1 to continue or delete to enter setup".
> The computer seems to work okay, but I would like to fix it so it would boot
> properly.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Bill Dobbs

Thanks, I should be able to correct the conflict now. I have become rusty
(lazy) in the last few years.

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...