Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No Defrag ...!

No Defrag ...!

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> XP is all I know.
> *R*

Try the other stuff first, and if defrag restarts, let it, until it gets to
the end.
--
slumpy
no more

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biidn3$9ksch$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Is that what you call it? Hehehehehe, was going to completely
>> re-install Windows XP on to the computer, start again from a fresh
>> re-install.
>> Raine.

> I will step aside now, those two letters (X and P) make me nervous.
>

>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:biid7v$9km5q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> Hi Slumpy,
>>> Saved everything I wanted last night, so I won't lose anything of
>>> importance if I re-install.
>>> 20 gig HD. Btw.

>> Do you mean re-format the disk ?

Raine

Ok.

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:biied5$8j1v6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> XP is all I know.
> *R*

Try the other stuff first, and if defrag restarts, let it, until it gets to
the end.
--
slumpy
no more
no less
just slumpy

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biidn3$9ksch$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Is that what you call it? Hehehehehe, was going to completely
>> re-install Windows XP on to the computer, start again from a fresh
>> re-install.
>> Raine.

> I will step aside now, those two letters (X and P) make me nervous.
>

>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:biid7v$9km5q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> Hi Slumpy,
>>> Saved everything I wanted last night, so I won't lose anything of
>>> importance if I re-install.
>>> 20 gig HD. Btw.

>> Do you mean re-format the disk ?

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Ok.

I'd say go off and make a cup of tea or something, but I'm not sure how
mobile you are
PS download Quotefix from
http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/software/oequotefix1192.exe - it will help your
posts much nicer to read
--
slumpy
no more
no less
just slumpy

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biied5$8j1v6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> XP is all I know.
>> *R*

> Try the other stuff first, and if defrag restarts, let it, until it
> gets to
> the end.
>

>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:biidn3$9ksch$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> Is that what you call it? Hehehehehe, was going to completely
>>> re-install Windows XP on to the computer, start again from a fresh
>>> re-install.
>>> Raine.

>> I will step aside now, those two letters (X and P) make me nervous.
>>

>>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:biid7v$9km5q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
>>> ?" I
>>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

>>> Do you mean re-format the disk ?

Boomer

Raine said:

> Good Afternoon Boomer,
> Defrag gets to 75% complete, before it stops, or I get the message
> *Not responding*.

Very odd.

Do you start the defrag after a fresh reboot?

> The hard drive has well over 15% free space, was
> told I needed at least that amount of free space before
> defragging. ----- I just checked the HD and it's showing just
> under half full. I don't have anything running except Explorer and
> the Sys tray, was careful to shut everything else down. Raine.

Have you checked the Event Viewer?
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer
Maybe a clue there.

Try running Disk Cleanup, checking all boxes except "Compress old
files".

Have you installed all the needed Service Packs, patches etc. for XP
and IE/OE?

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f4cb3cc$0$51591$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Raine said:
>
>> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
>> Raine.

> How far does the defrag get to?
> How full is your hard drive?
>
>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:biiavi$9mtek$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de... "So, Mr
>> Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> *R*

>> You may find that once it's got through to the end it settles
>> down a bit. Just persevere

Raine

My *jailer* just made me one, thanks.
But now I got my wheels I'll be more mobile than I was, ty.
Raine

Raine said:

> Yep, thanks, a re-install is imminent.
>

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biibme$95q9a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de... "So, Mr Slumpy
> you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I threw
> back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
>> Raine.

> OK, start from scratch.
>
> IE Tools/options then delete cookies, delete files /including/ all
> offline content.
> Search your HDD for *.tmp files and delete them all.
> Boot to Safe mode.
> Can you do a thorough scandisk ? Try that (will take a while).
> Do you have scandisk set to repair errors etc ? Defrag can refuse
> to run if there are errors on the drive.
>
> What happens when you try scandisk or defrag ? Do they just freeze
> ?

Here's what Mike posted the other day. Not sure if you saw it or not.
Maybe a clue here.

Subject: Re: Virus ...
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:06:05 +0100

HOLY HANNAH!! I can *not* believe all of those Yahoo!, McAfee,
and even Symantec ActiveX controls and BHOs you have installed.
No wonder you have Internet Washer!

Half of those things, I have no idea of their true function. I don't
see any obvious spyware/malware in there.

Here's what I noticed on the McAfee web site:

http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/vs7/
"New!—Script Stopper
Many of the fastest spreading viruses, like I Love You, use scripts
to infect your PC. VirusScan 7 stops new malicious threats from
infecting your system with Script Stopper. Script Stopper detects,
alerts, and blocks malicious script actions to keep your computer
safe from script-initiated threats. It adds an extra layer of
protection
from the most common type of infection method for consumer
viruses.

New!—Hostile Activity Watch Kernel (HAWKTM)
The Hostile Activity Watch Kernel (HAWKTM) constantly monitors
your computer for virus-like activity providing even more protection
for Internet-based threats. It looks for events that may indicate
new mass-mailers, or attachments with double file extensions. By
monitoring for these typically malicious activities, HAWK notifies you
and lets you take action before damage occurs. HAWK saves you
time, and possibly data and money, that could be lost by virus
infiltration."

Notice the first paragraph. With everything you have installed
and running, ANYTHING could be the cause of McAfee complaining.

You have two options (maybe three), as I see it.

1. Uninstall all of that Yahoo crap - though I suspect a great deal
of it is games and chat related, so that may not be an option,
if you are into that sort of thing.

2. Disable McAfee's 'Script Stopper' and 'Hostile Activity Watch
Kernel' - depending on your computer habits, this may not
be a wise choice.

3. Uninstall McAfee (and Symantec) bloatware, and use an
alternative, with a much smaller footprint, and greater
efficacy:
eZ Antivirus

Footnote: Please adjust your line wrap again!

Raine

Yes, I tried too.

"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f4cc12d$0$51591$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
Raine said:

> Good Afternoon Boomer,
> Defrag gets to 75% complete, before it stops, or I get the message
> *Not responding*.

Very odd.

Do you start the defrag after a fresh reboot?

> The hard drive has well over 15% free space, was
> told I needed at least that amount of free space before
> defragging. ----- I just checked the HD and it's showing just
> under half full. I don't have anything running except Explorer and
> the Sys tray, was careful to shut everything else down. Raine.

Have you checked the Event Viewer?
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer
Maybe a clue there.

Try running Disk Cleanup, checking all boxes except "Compress old
files".

Have you installed all the needed Service Packs, patches etc. for XP
and IE/OE?

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f4cb3cc$0$51591$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Raine said:
>
>> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
>> Raine.

> How far does the defrag get to?
> How full is your hard drive?
>
>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:biiavi$9mtek$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de... "So, Mr
>> Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> *R*

>> You may find that once it's got through to the end it settles
>> down a bit. Just persevere

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Boomer continued:

> slumpy said:

>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine
>> continued:
>>
>>> XP is all I know.
>>> *R*

>> Try the other stuff first, and if defrag restarts, let it, until
>> it gets to the end.

> Agreed!!!!!

I was so enamoured with my new broadband service I couldn't find time to
defrag a HDD that went from 2gig to 15gig between defrags. When I tried it
protested in much the same way, and after leaving it running in Safe Mode,
restarting as necessary until it finished, it sorted itself out. Must have
been a bit like tidying a kids room.

"Where the **** do you start ?"
--
slumpy
no more

Raine

Races through to 75%, then stops altogether, or it will get to 75% hang a few seconds then the *not responding* message comes up, even in Safe Mode.
Lorraine.

slumpy wrote:
> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Good Afternoon Boomer,
>> Defrag gets to 75% complete, before it stops, or I get the message
>> *Not responding*.

> If you close it then restart it, does it race back through to 75% and
> continue, or is there a sticky point at 75% ?
>
> "Well what else would you call it ? "
>
>> The hard drive has well over 15% free space, was told I needed at
>> least that amount of free space before defragging. -----
>> I just checked the HD and it's showing just under half full.
>> I don't have anything running except Explorer and the Sys tray, was
>> careful to shut everything else down.
>> Raine.
>>

>> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:3f4cb3cc$0$51591$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>> Raine said:
>>
>>> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
>>> Raine.

>> How far does the defrag get to?
>> How full is your hard drive?
>>
>>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:biiavi$9mtek$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de... "So, Mr Slumpy
>>> you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I threw
>>> back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

>>> You may find that once it's got through to the end it settles down
>>> a bit. Just persevere

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Races through to 75%, then stops altogether, or it will get to 75%
> hang a few seconds then the *not responding* message comes up, even
> in Safe Mode.
> Lorraine.

Sounds like you need to do a *thorough* scandisk and keep your fingers
crossed :-/
--
slumpy
no more

> slumpy wrote:
>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
>> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> Good Afternoon Boomer,
>>> Defrag gets to 75% complete, before it stops, or I get the message
>>> *Not responding*.

>> If you close it then restart it, does it race back through to 75% and
>> continue, or is there a sticky point at 75% ?
>>
>> "Well what else would you call it ? "
>>
>>> The hard drive has well over 15% free space, was told I needed at
>>> least that amount of free space before defragging. -----
>>> I just checked the HD and it's showing just under half full.
>>> I don't have anything running except Explorer and the Sys tray, was
>>> careful to shut everything else down.
>>> Raine.
>>>

>>> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:3f4cb3cc$0$51591$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...

>>> How far does the defrag get to?
>>> How full is your hard drive?

How to see frag/defrag utilization of the router. AM Cisco 2 11-26-2005 03:06 AM
defrag sandy MCSE 1 10-16-2003 02:09 AM
defrag Keith MCSE 4 08-20-2003 08:27 PM
"Data that will not be moved" during defrag - why? Johnny Gyno Computer Support 9 07-08-2003 03:01 AM
Slow Defrag Bev Computer Support 17 07-05-2003 09:13 PM

Advertisments