Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No Defrag ...!

No Defrag ...!

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Thanks.
> *R*

You may find that once it's got through to the end it settles down a bit.
Just persevere
--
slumpy
no more

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bii96h$9kcj1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Hi Slumpy,
>> Thank you for replying.
>>
>> Only got 3 files in .tmp, and all to do with Prefetch, so I assume
>> they can be deleted manually? Since I'm told all .tmp files can be.
>> Raine.

> Yeah, dump them all.
> I did have a similar problem when it appeared something was running
> and I
> knew nothing was...I just continually restarted it until it was
> complete.
>

>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bii7h0$9t9tv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> It simply won't defrag at all,
>>> Not even in safe mode,
>>> I've even cleared the junk out,
>>> And there really was a load.

>> Have you checked for files called .tmp ?
>> They pile up everywhere.
>> And Windows won't remove them
>> Cos it's feckin crap software.
>>
>>> Raine.
>>>

>>> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bigsak$97u6e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>>
>>> "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:GnS2b.5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No Defrag ...
>>>
>>> I turn the anti virus off,
>>> Screen-saver I have none,
>>> I cannot think why no defrag,
>>> I really feel quite dumb.
>>>
>>> But, yes, I am a *novice*,
>>> For I'm not as good as *you*,
>>> Many things upon my comp,
>>> I simply cannot do.
>>>
>>> So although my little problem
>>> Isn't really that mind blowing,
>>> It is enough to make me blue,
>>> For I want to be *all knowing*.
>>>
>>> To be computer literate,
>>> Is all I ask, you know,
>>> *A little knowledge is dangerous*,
>>> For me that's oh so true!
>>>
>>> I have to know the way of things,
>>> So *24* I ask, no other.
>>> So can you help me to defrag,
>>> Please? I ask someone to bother.
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>>> Raine
>>>
>>> Will it not defrag at all,
>>> or go part way and die,
>>> boot your 'puter up in Safe mode,
>>> and give defrag a try.

Raine

Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
Raine.

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:biiavi$9mtek$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Thanks.
> *R*

You may find that once it's got through to the end it settles down a bit.
Just persevere
--
slumpy
no more
no less
just slumpy

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bii96h$9kcj1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Hi Slumpy,
>> Thank you for replying.
>>
>> Only got 3 files in .tmp, and all to do with Prefetch, so I assume
>> they can be deleted manually? Since I'm told all .tmp files can be.
>> Raine.

> Yeah, dump them all.
> I did have a similar problem when it appeared something was running
> and I
> knew nothing was...I just continually restarted it until it was
> complete.
>

>> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bii7h0$9t9tv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
>> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>>
>>> It simply won't defrag at all,
>>> Not even in safe mode,
>>> I've even cleared the junk out,
>>> And there really was a load.

>> Have you checked for files called .tmp ?
>> They pile up everywhere.
>> And Windows won't remove them
>> Cos it's feckin crap software.
>>
>>> Raine.
>>>

>>> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bigsak$97u6e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>>
>>> "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:GnS2b.5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No Defrag ...
>>>
>>> I turn the anti virus off,
>>> Screen-saver I have none,
>>> I cannot think why no defrag,
>>> I really feel quite dumb.
>>>
>>> But, yes, I am a *novice*,
>>> For I'm not as good as *you*,
>>> Many things upon my comp,
>>> I simply cannot do.
>>>
>>> So although my little problem
>>> Isn't really that mind blowing,
>>> It is enough to make me blue,
>>> For I want to be *all knowing*.
>>>
>>> To be computer literate,
>>> Is all I ask, you know,
>>> *A little knowledge is dangerous*,
>>> For me that's oh so true!
>>>
>>> I have to know the way of things,
>>> So *24* I ask, no other.
>>> So can you help me to defrag,
>>> Please? I ask someone to bother.
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>>> Raine
>>>
>>> Will it not defrag at all,
>>> or go part way and die,
>>> boot your 'puter up in Safe mode,
>>> and give defrag a try.

Raine

Yep, thanks, a re-install is imminent.

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:biibme$95q9a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
> Raine.

OK, start from scratch.

IE Tools/options then delete cookies, delete files /including/ all offline
content.
Search your HDD for *.tmp files and delete them all.
Boot to Safe mode.
Can you do a thorough scandisk ? Try that (will take a while).
Do you have scandisk set to repair errors etc ? Defrag can refuse to run if
there are errors on the drive.

What happens when you try scandisk or defrag ? Do they just freeze ?
--
slumpy
no more

Boomer

Raine said:

> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
> Raine.

How far does the defrag get to?
How full is your hard drive?

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biiavi$9mtek$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de... "So, Mr Slumpy
> you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I threw
> back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Thanks.
>> *R*

> You may find that once it's got through to the end it settles down
> a bit. Just persevere

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Yep, thanks, a re-install is imminent.

Size of HDD ?
Amount used ?
Anything you can afford to lose ?
--
slumpy
no more

Raine

Good Afternoon Boomer,
Defrag gets to 75% complete, before it stops, or I get the message *Not responding*.
The hard drive has well over 15% free space, was told I needed at least that amount of free space before defragging. -----
I just checked the HD and it's showing just under half full.
I don't have anything running except Explorer and the Sys tray, was careful to shut everything else down.
Raine.

"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f4cb3cc$0$51591$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
Raine said:

> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
> Raine.

How far does the defrag get to?
How full is your hard drive?

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biiavi$9mtek$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de... "So, Mr Slumpy
> you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I threw
> back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Thanks.
>> *R*

> You may find that once it's got through to the end it settles down
> a bit. Just persevere

Raine

Hi Slumpy,
Saved everything I wanted last night, so I won't lose anything of importance if I re-install.
20 gig HD. Btw.
Raine

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:biicg4$9am78$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
threw back my head and roared with laughter as Boomer continued:

> Raine said:
>
>> Still no defrag, Slumpy. Must be to much on the HD still.
>> Raine.

> How far does the defrag get to?
> How full is your hard drive?

Oops that was the question I forgot to ask
--
slumpy
no more
no less
just slumpy

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Hi Slumpy,
> Saved everything I wanted last night, so I won't lose anything of
> importance if I re-install.
> 20 gig HD. Btw.

Do you mean re-format the disk ?
--
slumpy
no more

Raine

Is that what you call it? Hehehehehe, was going to completely re-install Windows XP on to the computer, start again from a fresh re-install.
Raine.

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:biid7v$9km5q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Hi Slumpy,
> Saved everything I wanted last night, so I won't lose anything of
> importance if I re-install.
> 20 gig HD. Btw.

Do you mean re-format the disk ?
--
slumpy
no more
no less
just slumpy

Raine

XP is all I know.
*R*

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:biidn3$9ksch$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:

> Is that what you call it? Hehehehehe, was going to completely
> re-install Windows XP on to the computer, start again from a fresh
> re-install.
> Raine.

I will step aside now, those two letters (X and P) make me nervous.
--
slumpy
no more
no less
just slumpy

> "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biid7v$9km5q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as Raine continued:
>
>> Hi Slumpy,
>> Saved everything I wanted last night, so I won't lose anything of
>> importance if I re-install.
>> 20 gig HD. Btw.

> Do you mean re-format the disk ?

How to see frag/defrag utilization of the router. AM Cisco 2 11-26-2005 03:06 AM
defrag sandy MCSE 1 10-16-2003 02:09 AM
defrag Keith MCSE 4 08-20-2003 08:27 PM
"Data that will not be moved" during defrag - why? Johnny Gyno Computer Support 9 07-08-2003 03:01 AM
Slow Defrag Bev Computer Support 17 07-05-2003 09:13 PM

Advertisments