Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Virus question.

Virus question.

area 51

Any idea why the person (people), behind these latest virus attacks,
didn't go the whole hog, and write them to affect win95/98 as well.
Plus as I am running win 98, and still getting 100s of firewall
detection's hourly, all from the same place, presume it to be one of
these virus programmes.
1. if my firewall was off does it still access computer but do no
damage?
2.I am on the addy book of friends with xp. If they were infected, would
I still get the virus sent.?

S.Heenan

area 51 wrote:
> Any idea why the person (people), behind these latest virus attacks,
> didn't go the whole hog, and write them to affect win95/98 as well.

In the case of the W32Blaster worm, it exploited a weakness present only in
Windows NT/2000/XP. SoBig and Bugbear affect most all Microsoft operating
systems.

> Plus as I am running win 98, and still getting 100s of firewall
> detection's hourly, all from the same place, presume it to be one of
> these virus programmes.

> 1. if my firewall was off does it still access computer but do no
> damage?

Maybe, maybe not. Have both your firewall and anti-virus software updated
and running at all times.

> 2.I am on the addy book of friends with xp. If they were infected,
> would I still get the virus sent.?

Possibly. As a general rule, don't open any attachment from anyone. If you
requested a file from a friend, save it and scan it. Then get in touch wih
them and ask if they did indeed send it. If they did indeed send it, you're
probably OK to run it.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

Mr. Smiley

S.Heenan wrote:
> area 51 wrote:
>> Any idea why the person (people), behind these latest virus attacks,
>> didn't go the whole hog, and write them to affect win95/98 as well.

> In the case of the W32Blaster worm, it exploited a weakness present
> only in Windows NT/2000/XP. SoBig and Bugbear affect most all
> Microsoft operating systems.
>
>> Plus as I am running win 98, and still getting 100s of firewall
>> detection's hourly, all from the same place, presume it to be one of
>> these virus programmes.

>> 1. if my firewall was off does it still access computer but do no
>> damage?

> Maybe, maybe not. Have both your firewall and anti-virus software
> updated and running at all times.
>
>> 2.I am on the addy book of friends with xp. If they were infected,
>> would I still get the virus sent.?

> Possibly. As a general rule, don't open any attachment from anyone.
> If you requested a file from a friend, save it and scan it. Then get
> in touch wih them and ask if they did indeed send it. If they did
> indeed send it, you're probably OK to run it.

Microsoft is a nice, big, high profile target.

--
the abominable toner
http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/