Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > missing registry key mystery ? HELP please.

missing registry key mystery ? HELP please.

dale

Following Norton AV instructions to edit changes to the
registry by a Trojan:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Run
But there is no ........\CurrentVersion\RunServices to edit.
Anyone help me with the missing "RunServices" key ?
Windows XP Home Edition
Thanks.

JabberSmith

"dale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Following Norton AV instructions to edit changes to the
> registry by a Trojan:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
> CurrentVersion\Run
> But there is no ........\CurrentVersion\RunServices to edit.
> Anyone help me with the missing "RunServices" key ?
> Windows XP Home Edition
> Thanks.
>
> --
> (E-Mail Removed)

Dont look for the key, look for the value they are trying to edit (the
contents of the key).

Also, check for "runservices" by searching, not the tree, you might find
your registry has more than one tree that looks the same.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"dale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Following Norton AV instructions to edit changes to the
> registry by a Trojan:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
> CurrentVersion\Run
> But there is no ........\CurrentVersion\RunServices to edit.
> Anyone help me with the missing "RunServices" key ?
> Windows XP Home Edition

RunServices is a Win9X key. WinNT class OSes (which WinXP is) use
the "Services" key at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services instead.

As Jabbersmith said, look for the value via the "Search" facility.

RwP

jkara

Registry key you are looking for would be in "Run" and or "Run Once"
folders. As far as Run Services are concerned, you can click Start, Run and
type "services.msc /s" without quote marks and it will show you list of
running services.