Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How can I get my own back on spammers?

How can I get my own back on spammers?

why?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:04:04 +0100, Freda wrote:

>°Mike° said
>> Are you stupid, or what? Most spammers have forged return
>> addresses - you'd, potentially, be bombarding innocent servers,
>> not to mention that responding "in kind" makes you as bad as
>> the real spammers.

>Bit unfair IMO - people need to learn and understand somehow. All you
>needed to do was explain how it all works.

It seems you don't understand either.

Spammers use fake addresses.
Spammers use use addresses of other servers.
Spammers lie
Spammers use open relays to hide the sending address..
Acting like a spammer makes you a spammer.
Acting like a spammer could mean the loss of your ISP account when
people complain to your ISP.
The OP has the munge on thier address wrong.

Me

trout

Mistercmk wrote:

> "Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FTz2b.36380$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "Mistercmk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "thund3rstruck_n0i" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:3f4ac40c$0$52144$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Some of the accounts are actually valid. I use mailwasher myself,
>>> and it does cut down on the amount of spam I recieve as a result of
>>> bouncing e-mails.

>> How do you know that it's the bouncing that is the reason????
>>

> I have done nothing different regarding e-mail, and posting, etc.
> The only thing that I have been doing is bouncing the e-mails.

So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher volumes
of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
parties.
As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
just delete it.
--
"There's no excuse for compounding the problem."

Bigfred

If your getting a lot of spam suggest you change to a new mail box within
your email programme that was supplied by your isp then configure it in
outlook express and use only for freinds. Don't post your real e mail
address in newsgroups as spammers will get it, use a false one and get a
hotmail account there free and use for software downloads and net shopping.
And dont spam yourself as it creates more.

"Nick Worley"
<nick-NOSTALGIA'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:bie8t2$8ht1e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Someone told me the other day about a way of playing spammers at their own
> game, i.e. sending *them* loads of unsolicted mail, but when I asked for
> specific details it turned out the person was only telling me something

he'd
> been told by someone else and couldn't elaborate.
> All I could find out was it was a way of sending out loads of automated
> mail, in other words I don't to have to personally type thousands of
> e-mails, it's all done automatically and these thousands upon thousands of
> pointless e-mails arrive in the spammers inboxes and **** them right off.
> Does anyone know what I'm on about and how this works?
> I'd love to send all these spammers thousands of pointless e-mails and

ruin
> their days.
> Thanks
> Nick

Thund3rstruck

Mistercmk Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
proclaimed in <7xz2b.259276$o%2.118639@sccrnsc02>:
> Some of the accounts are actually valid. I use mailwasher myself,
> and it does cut down on the amount of spam I recieve as a result of
> bouncing e-mails.

Yes they are, but how many of them are really the spammers?
Remember, the spammer usually uses fake e-mail accounts on their end,
to try to hide where they're from. When you bounce a message, you run
the risk of:

1) bouncing it to an innocent person
2) tying up bandwidth some
3) in some cases, getting busted by your ISP on a TOS violation
(Header forging in this case.)

Just isn't worth it, IMO.

NOI

Mara

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:36:34 -0000, Jimchip wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:24:03 GMT, Mistercmk wrote:
>>
>> "thund3rstruck_n0i" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:3f4ac40c$0$52144$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Dave R." <dave_AT_manvel_DOT_net> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-sys.com...
>>> Alternative
>>> the

>>> Good program, except for the bouncing part.
>>>
>>> You're only bouncing messages back to accounts that spammers forged
>>> anyway, and tying up network traffic as a result.

>> Some of the accounts are actually valid. I use mailwasher myself, and it
>> does cut down on the amount of spam I recieve as a result of bouncing
>> e-mails.

>You're fooling yourself.

Yes, he is.

"He's not fooling the server Admins, though."

--
"Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable
from malice." -- Vernon Schryver

here at home

"yugsdrawkcab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U2C2b.849369$(E-Mail Removed). ca...

> Boomer wrote:
>

> > Why are you telling Mike this?
> >

> Why is that any of your business? Do you run outside and ask people why
> they are ringing the neighbor's doorbell too?

-------------
Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...
---------------------------------

h2so4

"Dave R." <dave_AT_manvel_DOT_net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-sys.com...
> You could try Mail Washer... it allows you to "Bounce" SPAM as it comes
> in... eventually, you'll have no SPAM coming in... also use an

Alternative
> Email address like hotmail or something when you order something on the

the
> web... it'll limit the amt of spam into your Real email address.

I use Mailwasher but have disabled the bounce feature because...

1. I got massively more spam with this feature turned on. I understand that
I am not alone with this issue.
2. I read some informed reviews of Mailwasher state that the program does
not in fact bounce the spam back to the spammer but to your own ISP. I'm not
an expert in these matters but I found the bounce feature a bloody nuisance.
Google should find the reviews.

The blacklist feature is useful in so far as it identifies blacklisted items
so that it's quicker to delete them. I run Mailwasher at the start of each
day and delete approximately twenty items of spam, including persistently
returning blacklisted items, each day. This take about five minutes.

I agree that it is wrong to spam the spammers. They should all be thrown to
the crocodiles!

Mistercmk

news:bif0se$8e7og$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Mistercmk wrote:
>
> > "Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:FTz2b.36380$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> "Mistercmk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> How do you know that it's the bouncing that is the reason????
> >>

> > I have done nothing different regarding e-mail, and posting, etc.
> > The only thing that I have been doing is bouncing the e-mails.

> So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
> overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher volumes
> of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
> 'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
> parties.
> As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
> blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
> best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
> just delete it.

How about this, I'll foward every piece of spam I get to you, and you can
take the time to foward it.

Jimchip

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:46:51 GMT, Mistercmk wrote:

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bif0se$8e7og$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> Mistercmk wrote:

[snip]
>> > I have done nothing different regarding e-mail, and posting, etc.
>> > The only thing that I have been doing is bouncing the e-mails.

>> So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
>> overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher volumes
>> of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
>> 'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
>> parties.
>> As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
>> blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
>> best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
>> just delete it.

> How about this, I'll foward every piece of spam I get to you, and you can
> take the time to foward it.

Either take the time to report it yourself or just delete it- Was
trout's statement *that* hard to understand?

--
Symptom: Drinking fails to give taste and satisfaction,
beer is unusually pale and clear.

Diagnosis: Glass empty.

Mistercmk

"Jimchip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:46:51 GMT, Mistercmk wrote:
> >
> > "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bif0se$8e7og$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >> Mistercmk wrote:

> [snip]
> >>
> >> So, sure. *You'll* see less spam in your Inbox. But it's also your
> >> overall service that will be degraded as your ISP handles higher

volumes
> >> of undeliverable junk being passed back and forth, generated by
> >> 'bounce' programs. As well as the service of other innocent third
> >> parties.
> >> As there is *no* net benefit to you by bouncing, rather than just
> >> blacklisting and deleting spam; you *are part* of the spam problem. The
> >> best thing to do to combat spam is, of course, to report it. If not,
> >> just delete it.

> > How about this, I'll foward every piece of spam I get to you, and you

can
> > take the time to foward it.

> Either take the time to report it yourself or just delete it- Was
> trout's statement *that* hard to understand?

You see, thats the thing. I don't want to take the time to report it. It
is easier for me to just click bounce, and away goes the spam. If I delete
it, I am not doing anything to combat the problem. If you have a problem
with that, thats too damn bad.