Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: I think I'm a newbie?

Re: I think I'm a newbie?

Gary - US

It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an Intel
based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for 14 years
and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.

--

Semper Fi & God Bless America,

Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
** Kindly Do The Needful **

" ~~AAJakeleg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_yf2b.10957$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .
> I'm going to let others answer, but that was one of the most eloquent and
> funny posts I have ever read.
>

> "Basil T Stansworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Dear Sirs and/or Madams,
>
> I purchased my first computer 14 years ago. It is a commodore 64, and I

must
> say I am in shock!! I just purchased a 'super-computer a week ago. I can't
> believe the difference!
> I don't know anyone here, so perhaps a fellow cyber-web denizen would be
> kind enough to help me.
>
> Let me say first, I have no idea how I got to this 'program' or
> 'application' or whatever it is to 'chat', or 'post', or 'put on the

board'
> (I'm learning) so there is a significant chance that it may be many weeks
> before I can learn how to do it on purpose. Please, do not worry about

that,
> I have studied hi-tech calculators and computers all of my adult life, as
> well as 'Coding' on my 64, and feel this is a project I might benefit
> greatly from. But for some other issues, I need to be pointed in the right
> direction. However, I will stay in this application for my first questions
> to be answered, because I might need to know before I can again regain

your
> presence.
>
> The questions are 3: Please do not feel that if you do not know the answer
> to one or two of the questions, that you are not qualified to reply to
> something you do know. I would be grateful for anything - and, now I am
> assuming this because I can see other people's responses, your responses

> my question will help many who are in my same predicament. If I am

assuming
> too much, and only people running a super-computer, like myself, can see
> everybody's questions and answers, forgive me, I do not mean to embarrass
> anyone.
>
> Now for my first question: At the top of my screen it says,
> "24hoursupport.helpdesk". What company or organization do I owe my
> appreciation? How many support people are hired to help at any given time?
> Does it come free with the new computers, or am I paying for it through my
> www internet line? Or, is this the dwelling of a board of learned
> technicians who know that those of us who understand computers have a
> responsibility to help those who are new? I can't believe the essentials

are
> too much different than my C64 and calculators, so if this is a board of
> volunteers, I would like to throw in my hat to tutor people who lack our
> experience. I can sit on the board and answer questions Mon-Fri, after

7:00
> pm and one day on the weekend, of course I am willing to sit in for one of
> my comrades in a pinch.
>
> Question 2: I overheard two technologically savvy men talk about 'Computer
> Networking'. I have been watching this development with interest for many
> years, but only now have 2 computers. I understand the principle, but am
> having a hard time with the nuts and bolts of actualization. Has anyone

here
> networked a Commodore 64 to a Windows? I would much appreciate to learn of

> book that could shed some light on this.
>
> Question 3: It is my understanding that the new computers have quite a bit
> more memory than my C64, which has, of course 64,000+change bytes. My new
> computer is a Microsoft Windows 98. I at first, naturally, assumed that it
> holds 98,000 bytes. This, though impressive, does not even double the

amount
> of memory in my 'development' machine. I was told that my W98 is a super
> computer, and quite frankly, was expecting a little more zip. I have come

> 3 possible explanations, and I would like the thoughts of my fellow
> computer-phials - and don't worry if you do not know for sure, I am only
> looking for your thoughts here. 1. The normal computers have 98k, but the
> super computers have additional memory, but keep the same packaging to

keep
> costs down. 2. The 98, unlike the 64 in the C64, does NOT in fact refer to
> the memory, but to something else (central processing unit clock speed?)

3.
> The memory IS indeed 98k bytes, but over the years, improvements in

silicon
> and other support technologies have virtually changed the name of the

game.
> Unfortunately, the machine came without a manual, as I bought it slightly
> used, so any clue that might be contained therein is lost. I would love to
> know exactly how much memory she has. If anyone out there has a W98, or
> knows of someone who does, I would be most grateful if you could help me
> solve this mystery.
>
> Very Truly Yours,
>
> Basil T Stansworth, III
> Walnut Creek, CA
>

> ---

Raine

LOL, I have an original Vectrex, complete with games!
Also a ZX 48k Spectrum, with rubber keyboard!
Raine.
"Jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:MPG.19b3309162ee70cc9896bf@shawnews...
In article <lNf2b.7750
$(E-Mail Removed)-
kc.rr.com>,
It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an Intel
based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for 14 years
and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.

I have him beat - I started out with a VIC 20!
--
Cheers!

Jan

Mistercmk

No really? What was your first clue that this was a troll? On a side not,
nice job to the OP. It is one of the funniest troll posts I've seen.

"Gary - US" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lNf2b.7750$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> [...]

the
> > super computers have additional memory, but keep the same packaging to

> keep
> > costs down. 2. The 98, unlike the 64 in the C64, does NOT in fact refer

> > the memory, but to something else (central processing unit clock speed?)

> 3.
> > The memory IS indeed 98k bytes, but over the years, improvements in

> silicon
> > and other support technologies have virtually changed the name of the

> game.
> > Unfortunately, the machine came without a manual, as I bought it

slightly
> > used, so any clue that might be contained therein is lost. I would love

> > know exactly how much memory she has. If anyone out there has a W98, or
> > knows of someone who does, I would be most grateful if you could help me

Conor

In article <MPG.19b3309162ee70cc9896bf@shawnews>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> I have him beat - I started out with a VIC 20!

Newbie
I started out on a Sinclair ZX81 (Sold as Timex in US) which had a
whopping 1K of RAM and two bit colour (black and white) with no sound
and a flat touch keyboard.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

Gary G. Taylor

Gary - US wrote:

> It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an
> Intel based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for
> 14 years and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.

Wow, that finally dawned on ya huh?
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Bebop & Rocksteady

Jan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.19b3309162ee70cc9896bf@shawnews:

> In article <lNf2b.7750
> $(E-Mail Removed)-
> kc.rr.com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an Intel
> based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for 14 years
> and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.
>
> I have him beat - I started out with a VIC 20!

I still have a
XZ81
and a C64
and a C128D

I also have a sega sc3000h hmmm I think there is an atari something
somewhere.... hmmm been meaning to take them to the tip for 12 odd years
now...

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

Gary - US

Yes it did ****tard.