Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Downgrade from Broadband to Dialup Connection

Downgrade from Broadband to Dialup Connection

Jan

My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go to a cheaper
dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of configuring, or a program
to download, that will cause the dialup connection to automatically disconnect when
the phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they just hear
endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always worried that someone is trying
to phone when she is online. Win XP Pro. TIA!
--
Cheers!

Jan

Laffctx

There is a program that will let you know that you have an incoming call,
but it will not disconnect your internet connection. I wish I knew the name
of the software, but it has been a long time since I have seen it. But, it
is out there.

Good luck,

Laffctx

Jan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go to

a cheaper
> dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of configuring,

or a program
> to download, that will cause the dialup connection to automatically

disconnect when
> the phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they just

hear
> endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always worried that someone

is trying
> to phone when she is online. Win XP Pro. TIA!
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Jan

Boomer

Jan said:

> My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection
> and go to a cheaper dial-up account due to financial problems. Is
> there anyway of configuring, or a program to download, that will
> cause the dialup connection to automatically disconnect when the
> phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they
> just hear endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always
> worried that someone is trying to phone when she is online. Win XP
> Pro. TIA!

Try searching
www.webattack.com or www.freewarehome.com

here at home

How come the caller gets an endless ringing tone when the lines engaged? It
shouldn't happen unless it's one of those cheap phone companies where you
pay from the moment the callers connected to their system.. Complain to the
telephone company. You could opt to have the caller redirected when online
to another phone/mobile though that will obviously cost you extra which wont
help your financial problems. Some telephone companies have an option to
have "Caller Waiting" which sends out an intermittent beep within the call
which would throw you off-line, you could try that. Ask you phone company
about that service.
"Jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go to

a cheaper
> dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of configuring,

or a program
> to download, that will cause the dialup connection to automatically

disconnect when
> the phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they just

hear
> endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always worried that someone

is trying
> to phone when she is online. Win XP Pro. TIA!
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Jan

here at home

Yes, I've heard of that program too but don't know the software for it.
Could try looking at: www.download.com for some software about this.
"Laffctx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> There is a program that will let you know that you have an incoming call,
> but it will not disconnect your internet connection. I wish I knew the

name
> of the software, but it has been a long time since I have seen it. But,

it
> is out there.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Laffctx
>
> Jan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go

> a cheaper
> > dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of

configuring,
> or a program
> > to download, that will cause the dialup connection to automatically

> disconnect when
> > the phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they just

> hear
> > endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always worried that

someone
> is trying
> > to phone when she is online. Win XP Pro. TIA!
> > --
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Jan

°Mike°

CallWave -- Internet Call Waiting
http://www.callwave.com/

Lots more:
http://www.google.com/search?q=call+waiting

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:05:42 GMT, in
<MPG.19b1f5702158c7f79896bb@shawnews>
Jan scrawled:

>My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go to a cheaper
>dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of configuring, or a program
>to download, that will cause the dialup connection to automatically disconnect when
>the phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they just hear
>endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always worried that someone is trying
>to phone when she is online. Win XP Pro. TIA!

--
Basic computer maintenance

Plato

Jan wrote:

> My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go to a cheaper
> dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of configuring, or a

Tell her to give up the home shopping network as well.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

DT

, Once upon a time in a land far away here at home was alleged to have said:
> How come the caller gets an endless ringing tone when the lines engaged? It
> shouldn't happen unless it's one of those cheap phone companies where you
> pay from the moment the callers connected to their system.. Complain to the
> telephone company. You could opt to have the caller redirected when online
> to another phone/mobile though that will obviously cost you extra which wont
> help your financial problems. Some telephone companies have an option to
> have "Caller Waiting" which sends out an intermittent beep within the call
> which would throw you off-line, you could try that. Ask you phone company
> about that service.
> "Jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go to

> a cheaper
>
>>dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of configuring,

> or a program
>
>>to download, that will cause the dialup connection to automatically

> disconnect when
>
>>the phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they just

> hear
>
>>endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always worried that someone

> is trying
>
>>to phone when she is online. Win XP Pro. TIA!
>>--
>>Cheers!
>>
>>Jan

Ever heard of call waiting?

--
Lose your shirt to reply -- Dennis

IVF Weblog: http://home.grandecom.net/~dennisnbetty/txmiracle.htm
An Ill Wind: http://home.grandecom.net/~dennisnbetty/illwind.htm
My home page: http://home.grandecom.net/~dennisnbetty

here at home

Another dumbo! Read the whole of the string!
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

said:
> > How come the caller gets an endless ringing tone when the lines engaged?

It
> > shouldn't happen unless it's one of those cheap phone companies where

you
> > pay from the moment the callers connected to their system.. Complain to

the
> > telephone company. You could opt to have the caller redirected when

online
> > to another phone/mobile though that will obviously cost you extra which

wont
> > help your financial problems. Some telephone companies have an option to
> > have "Caller Waiting" which sends out an intermittent beep within the

call
> > which would throw you off-line, you could try that. Ask you phone

company
> > about that service.

> > "Jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> >>My sister unfortunately had to give up her broadband connection and go

> > a cheaper
> >
> >>dial-up account due to financial problems. Is there anyway of

configuring,

> > or a program
> >
> >>to download, that will cause the dialup connection to automatically

> > disconnect when
> >
> >>the phone rings? If anyone tries to phone when she is online, they just

> > hear
> >
> >>endless ringing (not a busy signal) and she is always worried that

someone

> > is trying
> >
> >>to phone when she is online. Win XP Pro. TIA!
> >>--
> >>Cheers!
> >>
> >>Jan

> Ever heard of call waiting?
>
> --
> Lose your shirt to reply -- Dennis
>
> IVF Weblog: http://home.grandecom.net/~dennisnbetty/txmiracle.htm
> An Ill Wind: http://home.grandecom.net/~dennisnbetty/illwind.htm
> My home page: http://home.grandecom.net/~dennisnbetty

Gary - US

There are numerous programs available that will alert you when you are
receiving an incoming call. Do a Google search for them or check on
download.com. I don't know what they are because thankfully I have
broadband and hope never to return the medieval days of dial up MUAHAHAHAH!!

--

Semper Fi & God Bless America,

Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

http://www.mcngp.tk