Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: RAS in System Monitor does not work anymore

Re: RAS in System Monitor does not work anymore

pcbutts1

Well you checked the event log, check the Application log and see what it
says.

--

The best live web video demo on the internet
http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running Windows XP Pro SP1. I like to monitor the throughput of
> my dial-up connections in system monitor. A couple of months ago the
> ability to do that went away. When I opened system monitor it would
> take 30 seconds for the window to open and the bytes/second status was
> gone. I then tried to add the counter again under the "Performance
> Object", but there is no object with the word "RAS" like there used to
> be. I then checked the Event Viewer and found the following event
> from over two months ago:
>

> "Performance counter data collection from the "RemoteAccess" service
> has been disabled due to one or more errors generated by the
> performance counter library for that service. The error(s) that forced
> this action have been written to the application event log. The
> error(s) should be corrected before the performance counters for this
> service are enabled again."
>

> Any suggestions on how to get RAS back as an object to add into system
> monitor? Thank you.

John

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 05:20:59 GMT, "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote "Re: RAS in System Monitor does not work anymore":

>Well you checked the event log, check the Application log and see what it
>says.

I checked the application log within the event viewer. That is where
I got the message I pasted in my original posting. Is there a
different application log somewhere else?

why?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:50:20 -0700, John wrote:

x-post trimmed to 24HSHD

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 05:20:59 GMT, "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote "Re: RAS in System Monitor does not work anymore":
>
>>Well you checked the event log, check the Application log and see what it
>>says.

>I checked the application log within the event viewer. That is where
>I got the message I pasted in my original posting. Is there a
>different application log somewhere else?

So the most important bit then the Event ID is?

Me

John

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:02:21 GMT, why?
<fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote "Re: RAS in System Monitor
does not work anymore":

>So the most important bit then the Event ID is?

The event ID is 1017

why?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:52:48 -0700, John wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:02:21 GMT, why?
><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote "Re: RAS in System Monitor
>does not work anymore":
>
>>So the most important bit then the Event ID is?

>The event ID is 1017

MS Technet DVD for Aug 2003 , Event 1017 has 19 matches total, 9 in the
knowledge base then add Win XP to the search gives 0 results.

You could try the online search KB http://support.microsoft.com/

Looking at the 9 matches only 2 apply, use either the link above ow
www.google.com to search for the reference numbers below, the PSS ID.

These PSS IDs used to be Qxxxxxx , so try both the number and with a Q
prefix.

INFO: Events for Performance Monitor Extensions
PSS ID Number: 226494
Article Last Modified on 5/10/2003
Microsoft Win32 Application Programming Interface (API), when used with:
the operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
the operating system: Microsoft Windows 2000
the operating system: Microsoft Windows XP

Event ID: 1017 Only available on Windows 2000
Detail Text: Performance counter data collection from the (service name)
service has been disabled due to one or more errors generated by the
performance counter library for that service. The error(s) that forced
this action have been written to the application event log. The error(s)
should be corrected before the performance counters for this service are
enabled again.

Expertise: Developer of named extensible counter DLL

Next few are -
MS Exchange
DHCP server after install.
SMTP error
MS Exchange again, ditto
Outlook

then

PRB: Performance Object Is Not Displayed in Performance Monitor
PSS ID Number: 248993
Article Last Modified on 5/13/2003
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

.... part of the text ...
If a performance extension DLL becomes disabled unexpectedly, check the
application event log for event 1017 or 1018 (the "disable" events)
posted by the Perflib source. Then look for other events posted by
Perflib that will give the reasons why the system disabled the
extension. These events should be noted if you need to call technical
support.

Me