Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 0.0.0.0 IP disable/enable

0.0.0.0 IP disable/enable

alan

I am running Win 98 on a 2nd computer. When my cable isp queries my
connection, they see
my Nic Mac with an ip of 0.0.0.0, yet i can not renew the ip. I had a
similar problem on a WinXP
machine, same senario, if i Disabled the connection by right clicking on LAN
in network connections
then after disabling it I Enabled it, then renewed it, i could get an IP.

Anyone know how to do this disable/enable on a 98 machine? Or is there
another cause/solution to this
that could be suggested for the 98 machine.

tnx.

Boomer

alan said:

> I am running Win 98 on a 2nd computer. When my cable isp queries
> my connection, they see
> my Nic Mac with an ip of 0.0.0.0, yet i can not renew the ip. I
> had a similar problem on a WinXP
> machine, same senario, if i Disabled the connection by right
> clicking on LAN in network connections
> then after disabling it I Enabled it, then renewed it, i could get
> an IP.
>
> Anyone know how to do this disable/enable on a 98 machine? Or is
> there another cause/solution to this
> that could be suggested for the 98 machine.
>
> tnx.

Have you searched Google.com?

Maybe something here?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-
1&q=win98%2Blan%2B0.0.0.0&btnG=Google+Search

°Mike°

Start / Run / winipcfg

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 01:31:22 -0400, in
<AKM1b.7310$(E-Mail Removed)>
alan scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

alan

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by just saying "start/run/winipcfg"

if you are suggesting i renew in winipcfg... that does not work.

Do you mean i can 'disable/enable' the connection in winipcfg?!?!

tnx.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Start / Run / winipcfg
>

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 01:31:22 -0400, in
> <AKM1b.7310$(E-Mail Removed)>
> alan scrawled:
>
> >Yes I have, I was looking for a more concrete answer, rather than

hunting
> >through websites again. If anyone knows that would be great.
> >

> >"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:3f477fad$0$218$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...

> >> Have you searched Google.com?
> >>
> >> Maybe something here?
> >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-
> >> 1&q=win98%2Blan%2B0.0.0.0&btnG=Google+Search

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

John Wunderlich

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:KGI1b.7146$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am running Win 98 on a 2nd computer. When my cable isp queries
> my connection, they see
> my Nic Mac with an ip of 0.0.0.0, yet i can not renew the ip. I
> had a similar problem on a WinXP
> machine, same senario, if i Disabled the connection by right
> clicking on LAN in network connections
> then after disabling it I Enabled it, then renewed it, i could get
> an IP.
>
> Anyone know how to do this disable/enable on a 98 machine? Or is
> there another cause/solution to this
> that could be suggested for the 98 machine.

You can't disable/enable the network card on Windows 98. That's why
you have to reboot the system every time you make changes to the
network control panel.

Do you have firewall software in place?
The initial assignment of a DHCP IP address is done at a low level
(because when you first boot, you don't have an IP address). However,
Releases and Renewals of DHCP-assigned IP addresses require that IP
ports 67 and 68 to be open to your DHCP server. If you are blocking
these ports with your firewall software, then your IP address will
disappear when your initial lease period expires.

HTH,
John

°Mike°

Forget my answer. I misread your question. My bad.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:44:02 -0400, in
<3HO1b.7336$(E-Mail Removed)>
alan scrawled:

>Could you expand a bit on what you mean by just saying "start/run/winipcfg"
>
>if you are suggesting i renew in winipcfg... that does not work.
>
>Do you mean i can 'disable/enable' the connection in winipcfg?!?!
>
>tnx.

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Start / Run / winipcfg
>>

>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 01:31:22 -0400, in
>> <AKM1b.7310$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> alan scrawled:
>>
>> >Yes I have, I was looking for a more concrete answer, rather than

>hunting
>> >through websites again. If anyone knows that would be great.
>> >

>> >"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:3f477fad$0$218$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

alan

Yes I have, I was looking for a more concrete answer, rather than hunting
through websites again. If anyone knows that would be great.

news:3f477fad$0$218$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> alan said:
>
> > I am running Win 98 on a 2nd computer. When my cable isp queries
> > my connection, they see
> > my Nic Mac with an ip of 0.0.0.0, yet i can not renew the ip. I
> > had a similar problem on a WinXP
> > machine, same senario, if i Disabled the connection by right
> > clicking on LAN in network connections
> > then after disabling it I Enabled it, then renewed it, i could get
> > an IP.
> >
> > Anyone know how to do this disable/enable on a 98 machine? Or is
> > there another cause/solution to this
> > that could be suggested for the 98 machine.
> >
> > tnx.

> Have you searched Google.com?
>
> Maybe something here?
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-
> 1&q=win98%2Blan%2B0.0.0.0&btnG=Google+Search

alan

also, this is via a direct connection to the cable modem.

news:AKM1b.7310$(E-Mail Removed)...