Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disappearing files

Disappearing files

ripper

All of a sudden the downloaded music files and pictures have disappeared
from my son's pc. The folders are still there but are empty. The folders and
their contents are not hidden, recycle bin is empty although it was set to
delete right away. I have since changed this setting.
I have done a virus scan and the pc comes up clean. I have also scanned
using a file recovery program and cant find any evidence of his missing
files.
He is using WIndows XP Pro, a system restore has not resolved the missing
files.
Can anyone advise as to what may be wrong?
TIA

Ed Malphrus

"ripper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OkE1b.449$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> All of a sudden the downloaded music files and pictures have disappeared
> from my son's pc. The folders are still there but are empty. The folders

and
> their contents are not hidden, recycle bin is empty although it was set to
> delete right away. I have since changed this setting.
> I have done a virus scan and the pc comes up clean. I have also scanned
> using a file recovery program and cant find any evidence of his missing
> files.
> He is using WIndows XP Pro, a system restore has not resolved the missing
> files.
> Can anyone advise as to what may be wrong?
> TIA

Sounds like an issue with profiles... is your son using the same login ID
that he's been using all along?

I believe the "My Pictures" and "My Music" are subsets of "My Documents",
which is specific to each userID in WinXP.

Try logging in as an administrator and start at the root of C: then look in
Documents and Settings to see all the user profiles and sub-directories.

Good luck.