Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to disable ActiveX warning popup?

How to disable ActiveX warning popup?

Smoker

I keep ActiveX disabled. When I go to a page that uses it, an annoying
pop-up warns that the page may not display properly because my ActiveX is
disabled. Is there a way to stop that pop-up? Using IE 5.5 on Win98. Thanks.

rgm

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%iz1b.212$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I keep ActiveX disabled. When I go to a page that uses it, an annoying
> pop-up warns that the page may not display properly because my ActiveX is
> disabled. Is there a way to stop that pop-up? Using IE 5.5 on Win98.

Thanks.

Tools > internet options > security > Custom level look in there

Smoker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use Outpost firewall to manage your ActiveX - set your security
> settings to default in I.E.
> http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
>
> Use Spyware Blaster to set the "Kill bit" on undesirable ActiveX
> controls.

Thanks but perhaps I'm not being clear. I can manage my ActiveX just fine. I
have it totally disabled. I want to get rid of this warning that pops up
when I visit a page that uses it:

"Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

This warning is annoying. How can I stop it from popping up when I visit a
page that uses ActiveX?

Mr. Smiley

Smoker wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Use Outpost firewall to manage your ActiveX - set your security
>> settings to default in I.E.
>> http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
>>
>> Use Spyware Blaster to set the "Kill bit" on undesirable ActiveX
>> controls.
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>>

> Thanks but perhaps I'm not being clear. I can manage my ActiveX just
> fine. I have it totally disabled. I want to get rid of this warning
> that pops up when I visit a page that uses it:
>
> "Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on
> this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."
>
> This warning is annoying. How can I stop it from popping up when I
> visit a page that uses ActiveX?

Simply goto IE/Tools/Internet Options/Security Tab/Move Slider down 1 notch.
If this doesn't work try another notch. Follow the instructions afterward

--
the abominable toner
http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

°Mike°

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:13:09 GMT, in
<FLJ1b.1611$(E-Mail Removed)>
Smoker scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Use Outpost firewall to manage your ActiveX - set your security
>> settings to default in I.E.
>> http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
>>
>> Use Spyware Blaster to set the "Kill bit" on undesirable ActiveX
>> controls.
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>>

>Thanks but perhaps I'm not being clear. I can manage my ActiveX just fine. I
>have it totally disabled. I want to get rid of this warning that pops up
>when I visit a page that uses it:
>
>"Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
>page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."
>
>This warning is annoying. How can I stop it from popping up when I visit a
>page that uses ActiveX?

By the method I suggested. Outpost will block ActiveX quietly, if you
tell it to, unlike IE.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Boomer

Margaret Huffman said:
[snip]
> <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C369AB.0BB68160--

Please post in plain text. Turn off the HTML

Also use a TEST group to post test messages.

alt.test --------------------------------->
misc.test ------------------------------>
za.test --------------------------------->

The purpose of *test* newsgroups is to allow users to test
their news software and servers without annoying others.

FYI http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html

Thank You

Mr. Smiley

Boomer wrote:
> Margaret Huffman said:
> [snip]
>> <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
>>
>> ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C369AB.0BB68160--

> Please post in plain text. Turn off the HTML
>
> Also use a TEST group to post test messages.
>
> alt.test --------------------------------->
> misc.test ------------------------------>
> za.test --------------------------------->
>
> The purpose of *test* newsgroups is to allow users to test
> their news software and servers without annoying others.
>
> FYI http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html
>
> Thank You

You need to test active x on a test group boomer?

--
the abominable toner
(E-Mail Removed)

Smoker

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FLJ1b.1611$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Use Outpost firewall to manage your ActiveX - set your security
> > settings to default in I.E.
> > http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
> >
> > Use Spyware Blaster to set the "Kill bit" on undesirable ActiveX
> > controls.
> > http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

Thanks but perhaps I'm not being clear. I can manage my ActiveX just fine. I
have it totally disabled. I want to get rid of this warning that pops up
when I visit a page that uses it:

"Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

This warning is annoying. How can I stop it from popping up when I visit a
page that uses ActiveX?

I'm using Win98 and IE 5.5
Isn't there any way to disable this warning in the Registry or something? Or
can I uninstall ActiveX altogether? (I don't use Windows Update site)

°Mike°

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 02:23:48 GMT, in
<UkV1b.1950$(E-Mail Removed)>
Smoker scrawled:

>"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:FLJ1b.1611$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Use Outpost firewall to manage your ActiveX - set your security
>> > settings to default in I.E.
>> > http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
>> >
>> > Use Spyware Blaster to set the "Kill bit" on undesirable ActiveX
>> > controls.
>> > http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>> >

>Thanks but perhaps I'm not being clear. I can manage my ActiveX just fine. I
>have it totally disabled. I want to get rid of this warning that pops up
>when I visit a page that uses it:
>>

>"Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
>page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."
>>

>This warning is annoying. How can I stop it from popping up when I visit a
>page that uses ActiveX?
>>

>I'm using Win98 and IE 5.5
>Isn't there any way to disable this warning in the Registry or something? Or
>can I uninstall ActiveX altogether? (I don't use Windows Update site)

I already answered you...
news:(E-Mail Removed)

--
Basic computer maintenance

Smoker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 02:23:48 GMT, in
> <UkV1b.1950$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Smoker scrawled:
>

> >"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:FLJ1b.1611$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>
> >> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >Thanks but perhaps I'm not being clear. I can manage my ActiveX just

fine. I
> >have it totally disabled. I want to get rid of this warning that pops up
> >when I visit a page that uses it:
> >>

> >"Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
> >page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."
> >>

> >This warning is annoying. How can I stop it from popping up when I visit

> >page that uses ActiveX?
> >>

> >I'm using Win98 and IE 5.5
> >Isn't there any way to disable this warning in the Registry or something?

Or
> >can I uninstall ActiveX altogether? (I don't use Windows Update site)

> I already answered you...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)

> --

Thanks Mike. I tried SpywareBlaster and it didn't resolve the problem so I
figured Outpost would be similar and didn't bother with it. I have now
installed Outpost and gained an additional ActiveX pop-up asking if I want
to allow ActiveX to run. When I click No, the usual pop-up I'm complaining
about appears. I'll fiddle with Outpost until I understand it more and
report back if it has resolved my problem.