Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Invisible Slave

Invisible Slave

patrick

Something went wonky on my P3/800 and the slave hard drive. The primary
drive had everything on it but the desktop was corrupted. No icons,
shortcuts, task bar, etc.and the CD-RW and a: weren't working. Device
Manager showed something wrong with 2 IDE's whatever those are.

I tried to re-load W2K and kept getting the error that there was something
wrong somewhere. Gave up and took it in the shop, saying, sure go ahead and
format the primary drive if need be; everything's backed up on the slave.

So, now I'm told they got the primary formatted and the os on it, all the
CD's/DVD and floppy working but the slave can't be found. They originally
told me they thought it was the motherboard because of the IDE errors. Now,
they say, it looks and looks for the slave disk and can't assign a drive
letter to it.

Is this ringing any bells with anyone? It makes me wary when a tech just
says, "Hey, I've had it happen to two other units and have never figured out
why."