Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsreel commentators 1930's -40's

Newsreel commentators 1930's -40's

stump

Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and persevering
responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.

When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added attractions and
I have my favorite commentators.

There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember but my
favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also a radio
commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).

I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success. Can some one
out there supply a name or names that I might survey and find the forgotten
name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my college class ( library was no
help either) in
old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

Boomer

stump said:

> Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and
> persevering responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
>
> When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added
> attractions and I have my favorite commentators.
>
> There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember
> but my favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also a
> radio commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).

(Kaltenborn)

> I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success. Can
> some one out there supply a name or names that I might survey and
> find the forgotten name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my
> college class ( library was no help either) in
> old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

You might want to ask at these group's also.
alt.fiftyplus
alt.fifty-plus.friends
alt.movies
alt.movies.silent (Ya never know what info you'll get there.)
rec.arts.movies.past-films etc.

trout

stump wrote:

> Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and
> persevering responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
>
> When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added
> attractions and I have my favorite commentators.
>
> There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember but my
> favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also a radio
> commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).
>
> I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success. Can
> some one out there supply a name or names that I might survey and
> find the forgotten name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my
> college class ( library was no help either) in
> old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

Try Googling for "narrators", and "voice actors".
--
"Seemed to be a few possibilities."

Boomer

Gary G. Taylor said:

> stump wrote:
>
>> Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and
>> persevering responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
>>
>> When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added
>> attractions and I have my favorite commentators.
>>
>> There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember
>> but my favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also
>> a radio commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).
>>
>> I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success.
>> Can some one out there supply a name or names that I might survey
>> and find the forgotten
>> name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my college class (
>> library was no help either) in
>> old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.
>>

> Ed Herlihy? Lowell Thomas? google?

Lowell Thomas! The best!

Ed Malphrus

"stump" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Not topical I suppose but this group has some intelligent and persevering
> responders and if you are 60/70 all the better.
>
> When I was a kid all moviehouses also had newsreels as added attractions

and
> I have my favorite commentators.
>
> There was Harry Von Zell and John Scott Trotter that I remember but my
> favorite I cannot in any way recall his name. He was also a radio
> commentator, not H.V. Kaltenburn(?).
>
> I have searched Google by name and by groups with no success. Can some

one
> out there supply a name or names that I might survey and find the

forgotten
> name. I'm writing an assigned thesis for my college class ( library was

no
> help either) in
> old movies and newsreels and would certainly appreciate the help.

Perhaps you're thinking of Lowell Thomas.

FYI, The University of South Carolina (my alma mater) was granted a
significant portion of the "MovieTone News" film library in the 80's by 20th
Century Fox. You may want to check their site for more info:

http://www.sc.edu/newsfilm/

Gary G. Taylor

Unknown wrote:

> Walter Winchell???

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. North and South America and all the ships at
sea. Let's go to press!"

Cept I don't think WW did newsreel voiceovers. Oh well.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA