Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Java & XP

Java & XP

zim

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone's noticed this...I'm upgrading
numerous desktops to XP Pro...I've noticed that on these machines certain
web sites won't display at all until I download and install a java plugin
from Sun. I feel like I've kept up with the news...isn't IE supposed to
support java?

Thanks...

°Mike°

Have you been hibernating?

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:46:23 GMT, in
<P_R0b.278$(E-Mail Removed) >
zim scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

zim

Apparently so.

Do you think the Sun Java plugin is the best bet?

Thanks, as always,

pk
> Have you been hibernating?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/
>

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:46:23 GMT, in
> <P_R0b.278$(E-Mail Removed) >
> zim scrawled:
>
> >Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone's noticed this...I'm upgrading
> >numerous desktops to XP Pro...I've noticed that on these machines certain
> >web sites won't display at all until I download and install a java plugin
> >from Sun. I feel like I've kept up with the news...isn't IE supposed to
> >support java?
> >
> >Thanks...
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

why?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:46:23 GMT, zim wrote:

>Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone's noticed this...I'm upgrading

Only many thousands of people in the last year or so noticed.

After a short layoff, Microsoft is growing the polluted Java again.
Boxed in by Sun's lawsuit the company decided not to ship its JVM (old,
and pending resolution of the dispute, getting older) with Windows XP,
but now it's going to ship it with XP SP1, which will be with us in a
few months. It will also, bizarrely, be discontinuing downloads of the
thing.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/21285.html
27/08/2001 at 08:38 GMT
Sun cries wolf over Windows XP

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-21.html
Last Updated: March 10, 2003
Although court cases are still draggin on, Microsoft has removed its
Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1).
Recently Microsoft released Service Pack 1a, which is the same as SP1,
but then without the Java VM.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83e4e879-fa3a-48bf-ade5-023443e29d78&displaylang=en>
Date Published: 2/3/2003
Overview
If you are not running Windows XP SP1, install SP1a for security and
reliability updates to the Windows XP family of operating systems. There
is no benefit to installing SP1a if you are already running Windows XP
SP1. We do not recommend that you install SP1a if you are already
running SP1.

Note: Windows XP SP1a is almost identical to Windows XP SP1 except that
the Microsoft virtual machine (VM) is removed in SP1a.

Technical Changes
Windows XP SP1a does not include or install the Microsoft VM, which
provides support for running Java applets.

>numerous desktops to XP Pro...I've noticed that on these machines certain
>web sites won't display at all until I download and install a java plugin

Without a Java runtime, of course not.

>from Sun. I feel like I've kept up with the news...isn't IE supposed to

News -
http://www.theregister.co.uk/
http://theinquirer.net/
http://www.techweb.com/
http://www.zdnet.com/
other can be found using www.google.com

>support java?

IE does.

>Thanks...

Me

°Mike°

I don't like the Sun Java, personally. You can install the MS JVM
from one of the following links, then visit Windows Update, where
you will be able to update it.

ftp://ftp.visualware.com/pub/java/msjavx86.exe

http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/syst...M/msjavx86.exe
ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/syste...e/msjavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.univ-paris1.fr/pub/pc/corr...p/msjavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/vendor/mic...s/msjavx86.exe
ftp://ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/vendor/mic...s/msjavx86.exe
ftp://ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/vendor/mic...s/msjavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.uni-rostock.de/pub/vendor/...S/msjavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/cam_only/pc/...s/msjavx86.exe
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/pc/ie/msjavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.globalnet.co.uk/pub/window...s/msjavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.redcom.ru/pub/support/wind...a/msjavx86.exe

http://www.krm.com/ms/msjavx86.exe

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:58:42 GMT, in
<maS0b.284$(E-Mail Removed) >
zim scrawled: