Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Direct Cable Connection - DOS driver req.

Direct Cable Connection - DOS driver req.

Graydogg

Could someone possibly advise please.

Scenario.
Want to recover user files from a Win98SE system which will not load to the
desktop in normal or safe mode, using cable connection to another PC via
parallel port.
Total Commander (ex Windows Commander) installed on both machines so no
problem with Microsoft's direct cable connection application. Can only boot
to DOS level successfully on faulty machine.
There is a driver you can download (and I have) which will allow you to
connect to the faulty machine at DOS level, LPTDOS. Unfortunately, it does
not recognise long filenames.

Pete M

Why not put the HDD in another box as a slave, to recover the data.

Cheers,

Pete M

news:bi0nk8$5o9$(E-Mail Removed)...