Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Binary & ASCII Downloads...

Binary & ASCII Downloads...

nickyboy

I've managed to download a few files using the wrong file type (for FTP
download) - does anyone know of a tool smart enough to try and correct the
majority of the issues / changes caused by downloading with the wrong file
type?
I've have a look with Google but often end up with just Binary converters
where everything is converted into a 1 or 0 etc - a little bit stuck!

Thanks in Advance
Nick

°Mike°

Re-download the files, with the correct setting.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:36:46 +0100, in
<Ddm0b.16039$(E-Mail Removed)>
nickyboy scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

nickyboy

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:36:46 +0100, in
> <Ddm0b.16039$(E-Mail Removed)>
> nickyboy scrawled:
>
> >I've managed to download a few files using the wrong file type (for FTP
> >download) - does anyone know of a tool smart enough to try and correct

the
> >majority of the issues / changes caused by downloading with the wrong

file
> >type?
> >I've have a look with Google but often end up with just Binary converters
> >where everything is converted into a 1 or 0 etc - a little bit stuck!
> >
> >Thanks in Advance
> >Nick

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Re-download the files, with the correct setting.

(I've corrected your top posting)...
That didn't really answer the question, but it was a nice try!

Thanks
nickyboy

Gary G. Taylor

nickyboy wrote:

>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:36:46 +0100, in
>> <Ddm0b.16039$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> nickyboy scrawled:
>>
>> >I've managed to download a few files using the wrong file type (for FTP
>> >download) - does anyone know of a tool smart enough to try and correct

> the
>> >majority of the issues / changes caused by downloading with the wrong

> file
>> >type?
>> >I've have a look with Google but often end up with just Binary
>> >converters where everything is converted into a 1 or 0 etc - a little
>> >bit stuck!
>> >
>> >Thanks in Advance
>> >Nick

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Re-download the files, with the correct setting.
>>

> (I've corrected your top posting)...
> That didn't really answer the question, but it was a nice try!
>
> Thanks
> nickyboy

Yes, it did. The files CANNOT BE FIXED. The ONLY recovery is to delete them
and grab them again with your FTP program set correctly.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

°Mike°

(I've corrected your bottom posting)...

I answered your question. If you don't like the answer, then
find a better one elsewhere.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:57:17 +0100, in
<g%L0b.15901$(E-Mail Removed)>
nickyboy scrawled:

--

> (I've corrected your bottom posting)...
>
> I answered your question. If you don't like the answer, then
> find a better one elsewhere.

Garry answered the question, you didn't!

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:57:17 +0100, in
> <g%L0b.15901$(E-Mail Removed)>
> nickyboy scrawled:
> >(I've corrected your top posting)...
> >That didn't really answer the question, but it was a nice try!
> >
> >Thanks
> >nickyboy
> >
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >> Re-download the files, with the correct setting.
> >>
> >> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:36:46 +0100, in
> >> <Ddm0b.16039$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> nickyboy scrawled:

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

nickyboy

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KTP0b.3609$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> nickyboy wrote:
>

> >> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:36:46 +0100, in
> >> <Ddm0b.16039$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> nickyboy scrawled:

FTP

> > the

> > file

> > "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Re-download the files, with the correct setting.
> >>

> > (I've corrected your top posting)...
> > That didn't really answer the question, but it was a nice try!
> >
> > Thanks
> > nickyboy

> Yes, it did. The files CANNOT BE FIXED. The ONLY recovery is to delete

them
> and grab them again with your FTP program set correctly.

Thanks very much!

°Mike°

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:18:51 +0100, in
<5uS0b.16256$(E-Mail Removed)>
nickyboy scrawled:

>> (I've corrected your bottom posting)...
>>
>> I answered your question. If you don't like the answer, then
>> find a better one elsewhere.
>>

>Garry answered the question, you didn't!

What part of " Re-download the files, with the correct setting."
didn't you understand?

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:18:51 +0100, in
> <5uS0b.16256$(E-Mail Removed)>
> nickyboy scrawled:
>
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> (I've corrected your bottom posting)...
> >>
> >> I answered your question. If you don't like the answer, then
> >> find a better one elsewhere.
> >>

> >Garry answered the question, you didn't!

> What part of " Re-download the files, with the correct setting."
> didn't you understand?

I undersand how to download files, but that wasn't what my question was
about, my question was about an application / tool that maybe able to
convert files that were downloaded with the wrong file type. If there isn't
such thing then that's fine, but downloading again wouldn't be the same as
converting files that have been transfered with the wrong type.

Thanks for your time though!
nickyboy

> >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:57:17 +0100, in
> >> <g%L0b.15901$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> nickyboy scrawled:

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:01:22 +0100, in
<DRU0b.16350$(E-Mail Removed)>
nickyboy scrawled:

>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:18:51 +0100, in
>> <5uS0b.16256$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> nickyboy scrawled:
>>
>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> >Garry answered the question, you didn't!

>> What part of " Re-download the files, with the correct setting."
>> didn't you understand?

>I undersand how to download files, but that wasn't what my question was
>about, my question was about an application / tool that maybe able to
>convert files that were downloaded with the wrong file type. If there isn't
>such thing then that's fine, but downloading again wouldn't be the same as
>converting files that have been transfered with the wrong type.
>
>Thanks for your time though!
>nickyboy

You clearly stated: "I've managed to download a few files using the
wrong file type." Even Gary told you that my reply answered your
question, after you said it didn't. The fact that I told you to
re-download the files was clue enough, or at least it should have
been.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Regex with ASCII and non-ASCII chars TOXiC Python 5 01-31-2007 04:48 PM
[FR/EN] how to convert the characters ASCII(0-255) to ASCII(0-127) Alextophi Perl Misc 8 12-30-2005 10:43 AM
routine/module to translate microsoft extended ascii to plain ascii James O'Brien Perl Misc 3 03-05-2004 04:33 PM
Binary to ASCII Question dog Java 9 10-27-2003 05:55 PM
Re: ostreams, ios::binary, endian, mixed binary-ascii Marc Schellens C++ 8 07-15-2003 12:27 PM

Advertisments