Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Briefcase Problem

Briefcase Problem

-- Alan --

Hello,

I am trying to set up Microsoft Brief case to duplicate my data drive (D
onto an external hard drive (F. I created an empty briefcase on F: and
dragged all the data from D: that I wanted duplicated into it.

The properties of the this data on D: is
50.8 Gigs - 13,943 files 800 Folders.

After a couple of hours it finished copying. The briefcase said that the
status was 'Up to Date', but when I selected the briefcase contents and
looked at the properties it said
50.8 Gigs - 11,897 files 800 folders.

Although the Gigs and Folders values are correct, it appears that there are
2046 files missing. But they can't be really be as both readings show
50.8gig

If it helps, here's the exact bytes

D:
50.8 GB
size 54,566,916,373
size on disc 54,596,784,128

In Briefcase
50.8 GB
size - 54,546,936,306
size on disc - 54,572,511,232

I am using Win XP Pro SP1

Thank a lot

Alan

°Mike°

Why would you use Briefcase to duplicate your drive? There
are far better alternatives, like Norton Ghost, Drive Image etc.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:19:16 +0000 (UTC), in
<bhrjd4$9f1$(E-Mail Removed)>
-- Alan -- scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

-- Alan --

Most of the data I have are MP3's. I play these on other people's comp's.

I think drive image or ghost compress's all the files into one file. If
this is the case then I won't be able to play them unless the persons comp I
am using has ghost or drive image installed. Am I right in assuming that?

Thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would you use Briefcase to duplicate your drive? There
> are far better alternatives, like Norton Ghost, Drive Image etc.
>

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:19:16 +0000 (UTC), in
> <bhrjd4$9f1$(E-Mail Removed)>
> -- Alan -- scrawled:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am trying to set up Microsoft Brief case to duplicate my data drive

(D
> >onto an external hard drive (F. I created an empty briefcase on F: and
> >dragged all the data from D: that I wanted duplicated into it.
> >
> >The properties of the this data on D: is
> >50.8 Gigs - 13,943 files 800 Folders.
> >
> >After a couple of hours it finished copying. The briefcase said that the
> >status was 'Up to Date', but when I selected the briefcase contents and
> >looked at the properties it said
> >50.8 Gigs - 11,897 files 800 folders.
> >
> >Although the Gigs and Folders values are correct, it appears that there

are
> >2046 files missing. But they can't be really be as both readings show
> >50.8gig
> >
> >If it helps, here's the exact bytes
> >
> >D:
> >50.8 GB
> >size 54,566,916,373
> >size on disc 54,596,784,128
> >
> >In Briefcase
> >50.8 GB
> >size - 54,546,936,306
> >size on disc - 54,572,511,232
> >
> >I am using Win XP Pro SP1
> >
> >Thank a lot
> >
> >Alan
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Yes. I thought you were using it purely for backup purposes.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:08:11 +0000 (UTC), in
<bhrm8r$fhl$(E-Mail Removed)>
-- Alan -- scrawled:

>Most of the data I have are MP3's. I play these on other people's comp's.
>
>I think drive image or ghost compress's all the files into one file. If
>this is the case then I won't be able to play them unless the persons comp I
>am using has ghost or drive image installed. Am I right in assuming that?
>
>Thanks

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why would you use Briefcase to duplicate your drive? There
>> are far better alternatives, like Norton Ghost, Drive Image etc.
>>

>> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:19:16 +0000 (UTC), in
>> <bhrjd4$9f1$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> -- Alan -- scrawled:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I am trying to set up Microsoft Brief case to duplicate my data drive

>(D
>> >onto an external hard drive (F. I created an empty briefcase on F: and
>> >dragged all the data from D: that I wanted duplicated into it.
>> >
>> >The properties of the this data on D: is
>> >50.8 Gigs - 13,943 files 800 Folders.
>> >
>> >After a couple of hours it finished copying. The briefcase said that the
>> >status was 'Up to Date', but when I selected the briefcase contents and
>> >looked at the properties it said
>> >50.8 Gigs - 11,897 files 800 folders.
>> >
>> >Although the Gigs and Folders values are correct, it appears that there

>are
>> >2046 files missing. But they can't be really be as both readings show
>> >50.8gig
>> >
>> >If it helps, here's the exact bytes
>> >
>> >D:
>> >50.8 GB
>> >size 54,566,916,373
>> >size on disc 54,596,784,128
>> >
>> >In Briefcase
>> >50.8 GB
>> >size - 54,546,936,306
>> >size on disc - 54,572,511,232
>> >
>> >I am using Win XP Pro SP1
>> >
>> >Thank a lot
>> >
>> >Alan
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

JabberSmith

"-- Alan --" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhrjd4$9f1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to set up Microsoft Brief case to duplicate my data drive (D
> onto an external hard drive (F. I created an empty briefcase on F: and
> dragged all the data from D: that I wanted duplicated into it.

How bout a batch file? Xcopy is your friend. (Or RoboCopy would work too.)
Use the command line switches to check for and copy files that are new.
Cheap, and fast.

> The properties of the this data on D: is
> 50.8 Gigs - 13,943 files 800 Folders.
>
> After a couple of hours it finished copying. The briefcase said that the
> status was 'Up to Date', but when I selected the briefcase contents and
> looked at the properties it said
> 50.8 Gigs - 11,897 files 800 folders.

You carry too much crap around. How you gonna go through 50 gigs of MP3s?
That's like 2 weeks of continuous music.

Burn a couple DVDs or CDRs and take one to your work site to listen to.

> Although the Gigs and Folders values are correct, it appears that there

are
> 2046 files missing. But they can't be really be as both readings show
> 50.8gig

So is your problem you do not understand what the properties box told you or
that you are missing files? Find one that is missing yet? Sure it's not
system files or hidden other miscellaneous crap you wouldnt copy with a
simple drag/drop? No point copying the swap file or hidden recycling bin...
Windows will hide a lot of that stuff from you but still counts it in the
properties box. If you copied an entire drive (root on down) that is
probably the source of the discrpancy.