Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Windows Messaging Popups

Re: Windows Messaging Popups

°Mike°

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service uses
ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q330904

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q302089

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:20:55 +0000 (UTC), in
<bhov46$al6$(E-Mail Removed)>
Marc Townson scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Marc Townson

THANX MIKE - i had the msblaster virus so i formated the hdd but it was
still there so i download the patch from microsoft and downloaded avg and
ran that and then did what it said on the page. any other help would be
apprechiated
Marc age 14

> You should install a firewall, since the messenger service uses
> ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
> firewall.
>
> To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
> open the Services panel by typing...
>
> services.msc /s
>
> ...into the Start / Run box.
> In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
> Right click and choose 'Properties'.
> Click the 'Stop' button.
> From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
> 'Apply / Ok'.
>
> More information:
>
> Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q330904
>
> Windows Messages
> http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml
>
> How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
> http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html
>
> How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
> XP-Based Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q302089
>
> Stopping Advertisements with Messenger Service Titles

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

> Disable-Remove Windows Messenger
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
>
> Firewalls:
> ------------
> Outpost
> http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
>
> Sygate
> http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm
>
> Zone Alarm
> http://www.zonelabs.com/
>

> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:20:55 +0000 (UTC), in
> <bhov46$al6$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Marc Townson scrawled:
>
> >Can any1 help me dissable the windows messaging service?
> >
> >thanx marc
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Boot into Safe Mode and start your registry editor:
Start / Run / regedit

Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
+Software
+Microsoft
+Windows
+CurrentVersion
+Run

In the right-hand pane, look for an entry that refers to MSBLAST.EXE
and DELETE it.

Open Windows Explorer to the ..\Windows\System32\ or
...\WinNT\System32\ folder and DELTETE the file MSBLAST.EXE

Next, go to the ..\Windows\Prefetch\ or ..\WinNT\Prefetch\
folder and find the reference to the MSBLAST file (it will be similar
to: MSBLAST.EXE-<alphanumerics>.PF), and DELETE it.

Now you can configure your firewall and update your virus scanner.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/MS03-026.asp

What you should know about the Blaster worm

Windows RPC DCOM Buffer Overflow Remote Exploit (MS03-026)
http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/07.25.winrpcdcom.c.php

How to Use The KB 823980 Scanning Tool to Identify Host Computers
That Do Not Have The 823980 Security Patch (MS03-026) Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;826369

W32.Blaster.Worm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...ster.worm.html

W32.Blaster.B.Worm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...er.b.worm.html

W32.Blaster.C.Worm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...er.c.worm.html

W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...oval.tool.html

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:31:29 +0000 (UTC), in
<bhovo1$c03$(E-Mail Removed)>
Marc Townson scrawled: