Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do you defrag a hard drive?

How do you defrag a hard drive?

SiKing

I am having problems with defrag on my compy.

It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets through only
about 4% of the disk and then complains that there are errors on the drive
that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached help file.
Came up with nothing!
2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen) and kill
everything except Explorer and Systray.
4. Run Disk Cleanup.
5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for viruses.
6. Close all windows and reboot.
None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions?

TIA, SiKing.

--
It may be that your sole purpose in life
is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Charlie

Hi,
Try the defrag in safe mode. All the extra stuff that causes conflicts
would be turne off. Good luck.

Charlie

SiKing wrote:
> I am having problems with defrag on my compy.
>
> It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets through only
> about 4% of the disk and then complains that there are errors on the drive
> that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
> 1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached help file.
> Came up with nothing!
> 2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
> 3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen) and kill
> everything except Explorer and Systray.
> 4. Run Disk Cleanup.
> 5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for viruses.
> 6. Close all windows and reboot.
> None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions?
>
> TIA, SiKing.

philo

SiKing wrote:
> I am having problems with defrag on my compy.
>
> It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets through only
> about 4% of the disk and then complains that there are errors on the drive
> that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
> 1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached help file.
> Came up with nothing!
> 2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
> 3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen) and kill
> everything except Explorer and Systray.
> 4. Run Disk Cleanup.
> 5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for viruses.
> 6. Close all windows and reboot.
> None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions?
>
> TIA, SiKing.

other things to try;
empty your internet cache and tmp files

or else try running defrag in safe mode

°Mike°

Follow the instruction here:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:35:35 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
SiKing scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

les.watson

Use Cont Alt Delete and close all programmes except defrag and Explorer
"SiKing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SiKing wrote:
> >
> > I am having problems with defrag on my compy.
> >
> > It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets through only
> > about 4% of the disk and then complains that there are errors on the

drive
> > that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
> > 1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached help

file.
> > Came up with nothing!
> > 2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
> > 3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen) and kill
> > everything except Explorer and Systray.
> > 4. Run Disk Cleanup.
> > 5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for viruses.
> > 6. Close all windows and reboot.
> > None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions?
> >

> So I have tried the suggestions:
> 7. 'chkdsk /f' refuses to run insisting that I must use scandisk.
> 8. Ran defrag in safe mode; still same results.
> 9. Emptied everything that I could think of (Trash, Internet temp folders,
> Windows temp files, etc.) same results from defrag.
> 10. Updated defrag to the 32-bit version, as per Mike's page
> <http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html>; same results.
> 11. Also ran the manufacturer's diagnostics (as per Dell tech support),

the
> disk is fine according to them.
>
> So I ask again, what is wrong with defarg?
>
> Again TIA, SiKing.
>
> --
> It may be that your sole purpose in life
> is simply to serve as a warning to others.
> -----
> Candy for spammers:
> http://members.fortunecity.com/enderian/spamthis.shtml

Boomer

les.watson said:

> Use Cont Alt Delete and close all programmes except defrag and
> Explorer

It's Explorer and Systray. Also see his item #3.
He's done that.

"SiKing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> SiKing wrote:
>> >
>> > I am having problems with defrag on my compy.
>> >
>> > It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets
>> > through only about 4% of the disk and then complains that there
>> > are errors on the

> drive
>> > that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
>> > 1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached
>> > help

> file.
>> > Came up with nothing!
>> > 2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
>> > 3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen)
>> > and kill everything except Explorer and Systray.

Above.

>> > 4. Run Disk Cleanup.
>> > 5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for
>> > viruses. 6. Close all windows and reboot.
>> > None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other
>> > suggestions?
>> >

>> So I have tried the suggestions:
>> 7. 'chkdsk /f' refuses to run insisting that I must use scandisk.
>> 8. Ran defrag in safe mode; still same results.
>> 9. Emptied everything that I could think of (Trash, Internet temp
>> folders, Windows temp files, etc.) same results from defrag.
>> 10. Updated defrag to the 32-bit version, as per Mike's page
>> <http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html>; same results.
>> 11. Also ran the manufacturer's diagnostics (as per Dell tech
>> support),

> the
>> disk is fine according to them.
>>
>> So I ask again, what is wrong with defarg?
>>
>> Again TIA, SiKing.
>>
>> --
>> It may be that your sole purpose in life
>> is simply to serve as a warning to others.
>> -----
>> Candy for spammers:
>> http://members.fortunecity.com/enderian/spamthis.shtml

Kraftee

Boomer wrote:
> les.watson said:
>
>> Use Cont Alt Delete and close all programmes except defrag and
>> Explorer

> It's Explorer and Systray. Also see his item #3.
> He's done that.

Don't need Systray for Defrag to work......
--
B-)
Life is pain.....

michaelplaw

If you want to de-frag your hard drive then I suggest you go here and
download VOPT for windows.

http://www.goldenbow.com/index.html

You can defrag a 10 gigabyte hard drive in about 10 mins whilst you're
actually in windows. Dead easy to use too.

news:y1I0b.15772$(E-Mail Removed)...