Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > move files

move files

Brian H供

Bri. said:

> Brian H供 typed...
>>

> [snip]
>

>> Again, this is for use when moving everything to a single folder,
>> plus the second part deletes the files that weren't moved.
>> If all the files are exactly identical, the move wouldn't be a
>> problem.
>> The use of /y is normally required in a batch file to override
>> messages and permit an overwrite, without this switch the duplicate
>> file names are *supposed* to get skipped, this is not happening.
>> I don't want to overwrite a file that has a same name but where the
>> content is different, if I see files left over after the move, I can
>> go to them and append with (1) or (2) etc and be able to move them
>> when the batch files next runs. Liz's link was a good example, but as
>> everything would be moved at the first line due to the use of *.*
>> none of the following lines would find anything to move.

> Just a question..
> Could you not test for the file first, with 'IF EXIST'?

If I was going to use the full file name in the move, yes.
As I'm using *ford*.jpg as a condition, it will overwrite the first file it
finds in the folder that contains the word ford.

> Secondly, couldn't you run separate 'FOR DO' loops, to move each type of
> file to its correct folder?

The problem still remains, if a duplicate file is found, it will get overwritten
as the default of skipping when a duplicate is found is not working.
You are supposed to add the switch /y to the move command for it to go ahead and
overwrite a duplicate, or /-y to get a prompt to ask what to do, with no
switches the default is supposed to be do nothing and go to the next file.

Patrick

Brian H供 wrote:
> Bri. said:
>
>> Brian H供 typed...
>>>

>> [snip]
>>

>>> Again, this is for use when moving everything to a single folder,
>>> plus the second part deletes the files that weren't moved.
>>> If all the files are exactly identical, the move wouldn't be a
>>> problem.
>>> The use of /y is normally required in a batch file to override
>>> messages and permit an overwrite, without this switch the duplicate
>>> file names are *supposed* to get skipped, this is not happening.
>>> I don't want to overwrite a file that has a same name but where the
>>> content is different, if I see files left over after the move, I can
>>> go to them and append with (1) or (2) etc and be able to move them
>>> when the batch files next runs. Liz's link was a good example, but
>>> as everything would be moved at the first line due to the use of *.*
>>> none of the following lines would find anything to move.

>> Just a question..
>> Could you not test for the file first, with 'IF EXIST'?

> If I was going to use the full file name in the move, yes.
> As I'm using *ford*.jpg as a condition, it will overwrite the first
> file it finds in the folder that contains the word ford.
>

>> Secondly, couldn't you run separate 'FOR DO' loops, to move each
>> type of file to its correct folder?

> The problem still remains, if a duplicate file is found, it will get
> overwritten as the default of skipping when a duplicate is found is
> not working.
> You are supposed to add the switch /y to the move command for it to
> go ahead and overwrite a duplicate, or /-y to get a prompt to ask
> what to do, with no switches the default is supposed to be do nothing
> and go to the next file.

I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default should
be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by another thing.
Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:

/Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
overwrite an existing destination file.
/-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite
an existing destination file.

The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
within a batch script.

Liz

"Brian H供" wrote:
> Liz said:
> > I am still in the first stage of the experiment. Have you tried posting
> > your question in NT groups?

> Will do

The above ng has very little traffic, the OP "Pegasus (MVP)"
from my earlier link still post there, though I don't see anything from
him since 8/15, so he probably off for the weekend.

Patrick

Patrick wrote:

> I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default
> should be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by
> another thing. Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
> I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:
>
> /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
> overwrite an existing destination file.
> /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to
> overwrite an existing destination file.
>
> The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
> This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
> to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
> within a batch script.

Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to have
bothered you I suppose.

Bri.

Patrick typed...
> Patrick wrote:
>>
>> I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default
>> should be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by
>> another thing. Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
>> I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:
>>
>> /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
>> overwrite an existing destination file.
>> /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to
>> overwrite an existing destination file.
>>
>> The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
>> This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
>> to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
>> within a batch script.

> Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to
> have bothered you I suppose.

Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
command is being executed from within a batch script.

Just read this myself ...
http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/...lHelp.htm#MOVE

--
Bri.

Brian H供

Bri. said:

> Patrick typed...
>> Patrick wrote:
>>>
>>> I,m a know-nothing but you have persistently stated that the default
>>> should be bla bla, yet below indicates that it can be changed by
>>> another thing. Sorry if I,m speaking out of turn.
>>> I've XP Home, and what it says at the bottom for MOVE /? is:
>>>
>>> /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to
>>> overwrite an existing destination file.
>>> /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to
>>> overwrite an existing destination file.
>>>
>>> The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable.
>>> This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line. Default is
>>> to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE command is being executed from
>>> within a batch script.

>> Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to
>> have bothered you I suppose.

> Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
> command is being executed from within a batch script.
>
> Just read this myself ...
> http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/...lHelp.htm#MOVE

Thanks Microshaft, I have to double my workload.
I have had to run a batch file to change the attributes of all files in the
destination folder to read only, then prior to running the batch file to move
everything, I have to run a batch file to change the attributes of the files to
be moved to read only so that the move skips a duplicate.

Brian H供

Brian H供 said:

> Bri. said:
>
>> Patrick typed...

>>> Sorry, just read it myself and not so sure ('unless' word), sorry to
>>> have bothered you I suppose.

>> Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
>> command is being executed from within a batch script.
>>
>> Just read this myself ...
>> http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/...lHelp.htm#MOVE

> Thanks Microshaft, I have to double my workload.
> I have had to run a batch file to change the attributes of all files in the
> destination folder to read only, then prior to running the batch file to move
> everything, I have to run a batch file to change the attributes of the files
> to be moved to read only so that the move skips a duplicate.

Slightly mis-phrased, the fact that the destination files are read only they are
skipped, not because I have changed the attributes of the files to be moved.
I have to change the files to be moved before moving them so that I don't have a
bigger workload to change the attributes after the move completes.

Brian H供

why? said:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:26:03 +0100, Brian H供 wrote:

>> Liz said:

> <snip>
>

>>> No, Brian. I don't know how to make batch file commands.

>> OK, thanks.
>>
>>> I am still in the first stage of the experiment. Have you tried posting
>>> your question in NT groups?

>> Will do

> Me

Thanks, I'll have to try that during the week when NTL binary servers are
available.

Bri.

[snip]

>> Brian is correct, the default is to prompt on overwrites unless MOVE
>> command is being executed from within a batch script.
>>
>> Just read this myself ...

http://math.ucsd.edu/~driver/driver/...lHelp.htm#MOVE

> Thanks Microshaft, I have to double my workload.
> I have had to run a batch file to change the attributes of all files
> in the destination folder to read only, then prior to running the
> batch file to move everything, I have to run a batch file to change
> the attributes of the files to be moved to read only so that the move
> skips a duplicate.

I understood what you meant, pleased that you solved it.
There's always a way

--
Where's Will?

why?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:51:44 +0100, Brian H鹿漏 wrote:

> why? said:

>> <snip>

>>> OK, thanks.

>>> Will do

>> Me

>Thanks, I'll have to try that during the week when NTL binary servers are
>available.

YW, I also hope it's a text only group (and available on the NTL text
server. Or is it just as bad?) as well despite the some times binary
files posted.

You could always start here, see what's already been asked.
http://groups.google.com/groups?grou...msdos.batch.nt

If anything you should be able to find links to the many batch command
sites like,

http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm
http://www.calweb.com/~webspace/batch/

Resource listing- FAQ, sites ,