Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing Windows XP without a floppy drive or CDROM on a Laptop

Installing Windows XP without a floppy drive or CDROM on a Laptop

RG

ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or disk drive on my laptop. I
currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten old, buggy, and
needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the files from my windows xp cd
over to a second partition on my notebook pc. the first partition on the
laptop has windows 2000 on it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition has
the windows xp setup files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is, how
can i get the computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup files),
so i can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000 clean?? I
want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition instead. Is this
possible? what are my options? TIA

Philo

> ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or disk drive on my laptop. I
> currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten old, buggy, and
> needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the files from my windows xp
cd
> over to a second partition on my notebook pc. the first partition on the
> laptop has windows 2000 on it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition has
> the windows xp setup files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is, how
> can i get the computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup
files),
> so i can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000 clean?? I
> want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition instead. Is this
> possible? what are my options? TIA

do you have an option in the bios to boot from network...
that might be a possibility

Gary G. Taylor

> ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or disk drive on my laptop. I
> currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten old, buggy, and
> needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the files from my windows xp
> cd over to a second partition on my notebook pc. the first partition on
> the laptop has windows 2000 on it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition
> has the windows xp setup files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is,
> how can i get the computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup
> files), so i can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000
> clean?? I want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition
> instead. Is this
> possible? what are my options? TIA

The problem is that the D: drive doesn't have an operating system and
doesn't have an OS boot loader, so you can't boot from it. You could run
the XP install program from the D: drive, but I think (someone catch me on
this if I'm wrong) that would simply overwrite/upgrade the existing 2000
installation, stil leaving you with a garbaged installation--further
confused and complicated by being upgraded. A fresh, from-scratch install
of an OS has to be done from some boot medium. Which leads me to ask, how
did the 2000 get installed on the laptop in the first place? This one's a
toughie.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Kraftee

>> ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or disk drive on my
>> laptop. I currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten
>> old, buggy, and needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the
>> files from my windows xp cd over to a second partition on my
>> notebook pc. the first partition on the laptop has windows 2000 on
>> it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition has the windows xp setup
>> files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is, how can i get the
>> computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup files), so i
>> can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000 clean??

>> want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition instead.

Is
>> this
>> possible? what are my options? TIA
>

> The problem is that the D: drive doesn't have an operating system

and
> doesn't have an OS boot loader, so you can't boot from it. You could
> run the XP install program from the D: drive, but I think (someone
> catch me on this if I'm wrong) that would simply overwrite/upgrade
> the existing 2000 installation, stil leaving you with a garbaged
> installation--further confused and complicated by being upgraded. A
> fresh, from-scratch install of an OS has to be done from some boot
> medium. Which leads me to ask, how did the 2000 get installed on the
> laptop in the first place? This one's a toughie.

Let's go back a step with all this, just how have they manged to copy
the installation files over without the use of a CD drive???

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Tim