Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sharing a Dial-Up Connection?

Sharing a Dial-Up Connection?

Bad Little Kyle

Is there a way for two computers to share a dial-up connection? Both have
modems, only one has an Ethernet card. But we want to have both PCs capable
to be on the same phoneline at the same time and capable of looking at
different pages on the Internet at the same time, or accessing different
e-mail accounts at the same time ... such as if we were sharing a DSL/Cable
connection.

Thanks!!!!!

Kraftee

Bad Little Kyle wrote:
> Is there a way for two computers to share a dial-up connection?

Both
> have modems, only one has an Ethernet card. But we want to have

both
> PCs capable to be on the same phoneline at the same time and capable
> of looking at different pages on the Internet at the same time, or
> accessing different e-mail accounts at the same time ... such as if
> we were sharing a DSL/Cable connection.
>
> Thanks!!!!!

You can not use 2 modems (analogue or DSL) on the same line, at the
same time. You will require sometype of networking solution, either
by using one machine as a server & then sharing the connection or via
a router.

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

WCH

Some time ago I used an application called SyGate to do something like that.
You have to have the two computers connected, of course, which means some
sort of networking, but that's not necessarily a big deal and has other
benefits (sharing a printer, sharing files, etc). Once you have your
computers networked just install SyGate (or something similar, easy to find
via Google), set up the computer with the modem as the "server" and the
other one as the "client" and configure internet sharing (procedures will
vary by product). You know your browsing will be slow, right? Still, at
least that way both computers can be on-line at the same time.

"Bad Little Kyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f3d1027$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way for two computers to share a dial-up connection? Both have
> modems, only one has an Ethernet card. But we want to have both PCs

capable
> to be on the same phoneline at the same time and capable of looking at
> different pages on the Internet at the same time, or accessing different
> e-mail accounts at the same time ... such as if we were sharing a

DSL/Cable
> connection.
>
> Thanks!!!!!

ilmc

Bad Little Kyle typed:
> Is there a way for two computers to share a dial-up connection? Both
> have modems, only one has an Ethernet card. But we want to have both
> PCs capable to be on the same phoneline at the same time and capable
> of looking at different pages on the Internet at the same time, or
> accessing different e-mail accounts at the same time ... such as if
> we were sharing a DSL/Cable connection.
>
> Thanks!!!!!

Yes. Many ways. Maybe the easiest/cheapest is to add a network card the
the machine that is missing one (10-15), connect the two machines with a
cross-over cable, and run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one of them.
Disconnect the other from the phone line. The one left on the phone line
will have to be powered up for 'tother one to use the internet.
Other ways cost more :
- network card + NAT router/modem combo
- network card + RS232 NAT router + external modem.

.... and if the other machine is into Kazaa, everything goes sooo slooowly