Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Players cannot connect

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Players cannot connect

 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
Sample urls?


On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:54:23 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

>Hi,
>
>As part of my effort to win the record for the most "need help" posts on
>this NG, I am asking for help with yet another problem.
>
>When I open Media Player and click on tuner I get message saying web page
>not found. If I go to sites that have streaming radio and click on the MP
>or the WinAmp icon, then it opens the player but then says it cannot
>establish connection to server.
>
>Because MP and Win Amp do the same thing, I realize this is not probably
>a player problem. I have googled for an answer but have not found
>anything useful. BTW, CDs play fine.
>
>The last time I tried the players was a couple weeks ago and they worked
>fine. Since that time, I have changed a lot of stuff on my computer
>because it got infected with the worm. Among the things changed are
>installing AV software, and enabling XP's built in firewall.
>
>I have tried disableing the firewall, and EZ Anitvirus but that did not
>help. I did install Zone Alarm, but currently do not have it running.
>
>Please provide any suggestions.
>
>Thank you


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Schowengerdt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>Sample urls?


http://www.101.ru/
http://www.villagevoice.com/

And... MP won't even connect to
http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp

Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.
>
>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:54:23 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>As part of my effort to win the record for the most "need help" posts on
>>this NG, I am asking for help with yet another problem.
>>
>>When I open Media Player and click on tuner I get message saying web page
>>not found. If I go to sites that have streaming radio and click on the MP
>>or the WinAmp icon, then it opens the player but then says it cannot
>>establish connection to server.
>>
>>Because MP and Win Amp do the same thing, I realize this is not probably
>>a player problem. I have googled for an answer but have not found
>>anything useful. BTW, CDs play fine.
>>
>>The last time I tried the players was a couple weeks ago and they worked
>>fine. Since that time, I have changed a lot of stuff on my computer
>>because it got infected with the worm. Among the things changed are
>>installing AV software, and enabling XP's built in firewall.
>>
>>I have tried disableing the firewall, and EZ Anitvirus but that did not
>>help. I did install Zone Alarm, but currently do not have it running.
>>
>>Please provide any suggestions.
>>
>>Thank you


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>.
>>Sample urls?

>
>http://www.101.ru/
>http://www.villagevoice.com/
>
>And... MP won't even connect to
>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
>
>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.


Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses. Your media
player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
http://www.shoutcast.com/

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Schowengerdt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>.
>>>Sample urls?

>>
>>http://www.101.ru/
>>http://www.villagevoice.com/
>>
>>And... MP won't even connect to
>>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
>>
>>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.

>
>Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.


I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
are to streaming media adresses.

>Your media
>player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
>etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
>http://www.shoutcast.com/


I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
much traffic.

 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>.
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>>
>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>>.
>>>>Sample urls?
>>>
>>>http://www.101.ru/
>>>http://www.villagevoice.com/
>>>
>>>And... MP won't even connect to
>>>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
>>>
>>>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.

>>
>>Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.

>
>I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
>of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
>are to streaming media adresses.
>
>>Your media
>>player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
>>etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
>>http://www.shoutcast.com/

>
>I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
>but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
>much traffic.


Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Schowengerdt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:42:11 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>.
>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>>>
>>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>>>.
>>>>>Sample urls?
>>>>
>>>>http://www.101.ru/
>>>>http://www.villagevoice.com/
>>>>
>>>>And... MP won't even connect to
>>>>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
>>>>
>>>>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.
>>>
>>>Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.

>>
>>I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
>>of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
>>are to streaming media adresses.
>>
>>>Your media
>>>player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
>>>etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
>>>http://www.shoutcast.com/

>>
>>I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
>>but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
>>much traffic.

>
>Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?


I disabled Zone Alarm in msconfig. I turned off the XP firewall on the
one connection I had it on CP/network connections, advanced.

On both of my other connections (ISPs) I never have enabled the firewall.
None of them work with the players.

 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2003
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:04:28 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:42:11 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>.
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>>
>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>>.
>>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
>>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>>>>
>>>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>>>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>>>>.
>>>>>>Sample urls?
>>>>>
>>>>>http://www.101.ru/
>>>>>http://www.villagevoice.com/
>>>>>
>>>>>And... MP won't even connect to
>>>>>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
>>>>>
>>>>>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.
>>>>
>>>>Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.
>>>
>>>I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
>>>of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
>>>are to streaming media adresses.
>>>
>>>>Your media
>>>>player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
>>>>etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
>>>>http://www.shoutcast.com/
>>>
>>>I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
>>>but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
>>>much traffic.

>>
>>Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?

>
>I figured it out but I still do not fully understand it. The clue was
>when Outpost asked me for permission to do something. This was extremely
>odd because I un -installed outpost shortly after installing it.


Reading the rest of your response, not correctly, you didn't.

>So...... I looked in control panel add/remove programs list and it is no
>longer there. I looked in msconfig and it is not there.I looked in Task
>Manager applications and it does not show that it is running.
>
>However, When I searched for "outpost" it found the entire folder. I
>renamed outpost.exe, to outpost.bak and re booted. All now works.
>
>So..... Should I reinstall outpost and then un install it again? Or, can
>I just delete the entire folder?


Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
CORRECTLY.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Schowengerdt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2003
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:01:42 +0100, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:04:28 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:42:11 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>.
>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>>>
>>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>>>.
>>>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
>>>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>>>>>
>>>>>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
>>>>>>the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>>>>>>.
>>>>>>>Sample urls?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>http://www.101.ru/
>>>>>>http://www.villagevoice.com/
>>>>>>
>>>>>>And... MP won't even connect to
>>>>>>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.
>>>>>
>>>>>Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.
>>>>
>>>>I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
>>>>of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
>>>>are to streaming media adresses.
>>>>
>>>>>Your media
>>>>>player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
>>>>>etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
>>>>>http://www.shoutcast.com/
>>>>
>>>>I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
>>>>but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
>>>>much traffic.
>>>
>>>Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?

>>
>>I figured it out but I still do not fully understand it. The clue was
>>when Outpost asked me for permission to do something. This was extremely
>>odd because I un -installed outpost shortly after installing it.

>
>Reading the rest of your response, not correctly, you didn't.
>
>>So...... I looked in control panel add/remove programs list and it is no
>>longer there. I looked in msconfig and it is not there.I looked in Task
>>Manager applications and it does not show that it is running.
>>
>>However, When I searched for "outpost" it found the entire folder. I
>>renamed outpost.exe, to outpost.bak and re booted. All now works.
>>
>>So..... Should I reinstall outpost and then un install it again? Or, can
>>I just delete the entire folder?

>
>Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
>CORRECTLY.


I renamed the file, then still having the download, I reinstalled in the
same place.It still does not appear in any of the above mentioned places.

Nor is there any apparent indication it is running. Nothing in the
systray. However, it can be found in Task Manager on the Processes list.

In order to uninstall it I had to find uninstall in the folder and run
it.

All of which server to remind me why I did not like Outpost in the first
place. It did not behave like a fully compliant Windows program should.
Help files did not scroll with the scroll wheel, and pages must actually
be minimized to see what was behind them.

At any rate, problem is now solved. I again thank you for your help.
 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2003
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:48:50 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:01:42 +0100, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:


<snip>

>>Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
>>CORRECTLY.

>
>I renamed the file, then still having the download, I reinstalled in the
>same place.It still does not appear in any of the above mentioned places.
>
>Nor is there any apparent indication it is running. Nothing in the
>systray. However, it can be found in Task Manager on the Processes list.
>
>In order to uninstall it I had to find uninstall in the folder and run
>it.
>
>All of which server to remind me why I did not like Outpost in the first
>place. It did not behave like a fully compliant Windows program should.
>Help files did not scroll with the scroll wheel, and pages must actually
>be minimized to see what was behind them.
>
>At any rate, problem is now solved. I again thank you for your help.


That is baloney. Outpost performs exactly as it should, during install,
during operation, *and* during uninstall. There is something wrong
with either your system, or the way you are doing things.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Schowengerdt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2003
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:59:08 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
the bleeding, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:48:50 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:01:42 +0100, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:

>
><snip>
>
>>>Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
>>>CORRECTLY.

>>
>>I renamed the file, then still having the download, I reinstalled in the
>>same place.It still does not appear in any of the above mentioned places.
>>
>>Nor is there any apparent indication it is running. Nothing in the
>>systray. However, it can be found in Task Manager on the Processes list.
>>
>>In order to uninstall it I had to find uninstall in the folder and run
>>it.
>>
>>All of which server to remind me why I did not like Outpost in the first
>>place. It did not behave like a fully compliant Windows program should.
>>Help files did not scroll with the scroll wheel, and pages must actually
>>be minimized to see what was behind them.
>>
>>At any rate, problem is now solved. I again thank you for your help.

>
>That is baloney. Outpost performs exactly as it should, during install,
>during operation, *and* during uninstall. There is something wrong
>with either your system, or the way you are doing things.


I have no doubt that what you say is true. My experience was different.
My download seemed fine and installed fine.

I do not know why it behaved differently, and at this point it does not
matter to me. I know you often recommend the program thus I was surprised
that it worked oddly.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can connect to wireless but can not connect to internet Lucy Wireless Networking 0 09-22-2006 11:03 AM
Could Not Connect To SMTP Host Connection Failed -- Software caused connection abort: connect kishore@novelteam.com Java 3 11-16-2005 03:33 PM
Can't connect to local machine with anything except IE Other browsers can't connect without password Otis Mukinfus ASP .Net 3 07-08-2005 03:54 AM
which mp3 players connect to digital cameras? tolgan Digital Photography 5 02-13-2005 08:36 PM
How Do People In Uruguay Connect DVD Players? Jean-Marie Vaneskahian DVD Video 2 08-19-2004 01:24 AM



Advertisments