Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Domain Registration

Domain Registration

Bobby

Hello,

I need to register a .co.uk domain name. There seem to be hundreds of
companies offering domain regiostration with different prices etc. Some
advertise to register for 1.99. There much be a catch. Can someone please
briefly advise me of the procedure and what pitfalls there may be. Also any
recommendation for companies to use would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven Pilbeam

"Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhgo6v$kq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I need to register a .co.uk domain name. There seem to be hundreds of
> companies offering domain regiostration with different prices etc. Some
> advertise to register for 1.99. There much be a catch. Can someone please
> briefly advise me of the procedure and what pitfalls there may be. Also any
> recommendation for companies to use would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Normally 1.99 per year for .co.uk domains (must be done in 2 years blocks) and
then there is a sometimes admin fees on top
I have used http://www.oneandone.co.uk before and found them to be good.
When you register a domain with them there is a control panel that you use via a
password that allows forwarding etc

Plato

Bobby wrote:

> I need to register a .co.uk domain name. There seem to be hundreds of
> companies offering domain regiostration with different prices etc. Some
> advertise to register for 1.99. There much be a catch. Can someone please
> briefly advise me of the procedure and what pitfalls there may be. Also any
> recommendation for companies to use would be appreciated.

Yes. The catch often is what they charge you to change your DNS info. ie
when you have to switch hosting companies. Or, they have rude charges
for "parking" domains that you
register but aren't ready to use yet.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Gary G. Taylor

Bobby wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to register a .co.uk domain name. There seem to be hundreds of
> companies offering domain regiostration with different prices etc. Some
> advertise to register for 1.99. There much be a catch. Can someone
> please
> briefly advise me of the procedure and what pitfalls there may be. Also
> any recommendation for companies to use would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Often they are not registering the domain name for you. Rather, they are
registering it to themselves and charging you for the dubious privilege of
using their domain. Ensure, when you register a domain, that it really WILL
be registered in your name, and that YOU control the DNS so that you can
use any domain host you want without problems.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA