Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Can't boot XP even in Safe Mode....Help Please!

Re: Can't boot XP even in Safe Mode....Help Please!

Unk

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:21:49 GMT, Don<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi
>I hosed my system trying to disable a hard disk drive
>that my kid uses for storage. I couldn't disable it by
>device manager and tried to load an erroneous driver and
>then I could not boot the PC without a BSOD and "Stop" due
>to atapi.sys corrupt. I don't want to lose my data and
>level the drive. I can't get to Safe mode to do the
>restore and the repair/reinstall overlay has failed. Any
>help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Don
>.

Set the BIOS to to boot from the XP CD, it should detect the disk and give
a brief message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press
any key. Do it.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
using the Recovery console.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
on, follow the screens.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Unk