Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Propagating 0.0.0.0 routes from EIGRP into IGRP

Propagating 0.0.0.0 routes from EIGRP into IGRP

jdillman

I am working on a lab for my cisco class and I have an EIGRP network
and an IGRP network, they both have the same AS number. I need to
propagate a 0.0.0.0 route from the EIGRP network into the IGRP network.
I can't think of any way to do this, any help would be appreciated.

Merv

Did you try the "ip default-network" command ?

jdillman

Yes, we tried to use ip default-network but that didn't work. We still
were unable to propagate a Gateway of Last resort into the IGRP network.

Merv

Actually to get the desired result, you will need to redistribute
default into EIGRP first.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop>

router eigrp 1
redistribute static
exit

jdillman

We have the "redistribute static" in our eigrp config. Other routers in
the eigrp AS have the default route, we just can't get it to propagate
the default route into IGRP.

Mark Williams

Some router in that network must be running both EIGRP and IGRP. On
that router, you will need to redistribute the OSPF routers into IGRP
routes.

router igrp 100
network w.y.y.z
redistribute ospf 100

EIGRP has a better admin distance than IGRP, so you might want to take
the extra step of either adding in a distribute-list so only the
default route is sent via igrp, or tune the distances with the distance
command.

jdillman

We do have a router that is running both EIGRP and IGRP and they are in
the same AS. The normal routes are seen across the network, only the
default route is not distributed to the IGRP network. All interfaces in
the EIGRP network can be pinged from the IGRP network, except for the
default routes destination. Yet, the EIGRP network can ping the default
route destination. FYI, the destination is pointing to a simulated ISP,
thus it doesn't have a routing protocol.

jdillman

We figured out what the problem was. We were using "ip
default-network" incorrectly, we had the wrong network plugged in.
Also our static route that was allowing the "ISP" to reply was not set
to include the networks that we were testing from. Thankyou everyone
for all of your help.

Merv

jdillman wrote:
> We figured out what the problem was. We were using "ip
> default-network" incorrectly, we had the wrong network plugged in.

Is the router where the ip default-network command different from the
router where you are running both the EIGRP and IGRP routing process ?