Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Needless single-user start-up choice

Needless single-user start-up choice

Paul Hoberg

I'm the only user of my WinXP HE computer. One of the updates
made a change, so now when I start the computer, it stops mid-way
and makes me click on my name. I do not use a password, so I can
see no benefit for this opportunity to pick a user - only one -
me. Also, this seems dangerously susceptible to a virus or
hacker, because some of my software protection does not start up
until after I select myself as the user. This software was
installed before the change occurred, and I was not given a choice
of when during the start-up process these virus protections and
firewall protections should begin. Can I change it back, so I can
turn on the computer, then leave for a few minutes, and come back
to find the start-up process completely finished? How?

Gary G. Taylor

Paul Hoberg wrote:

> I'm the only user of my WinXP HE computer. One of the updates
> made a change, so now when I start the computer, it stops mid-way
> and makes me click on my name. I do not use a password, so I can
> see no benefit for this opportunity to pick a user - only one -
> me. Also, this seems dangerously susceptible to a virus or
> hacker, because some of my software protection does not start up
> until after I select myself as the user. This software was
> installed before the change occurred, and I was not given a choice
> of when during the start-up process these virus protections and
> firewall protections should begin. Can I change it back, so I can
> turn on the computer, then leave for a few minutes, and come back
> to find the start-up process completely finished? How?

It is dangerous to NOT have a password on your account.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Maven generates needless javadocs for generated classes Jukka Lahtinen Java 1 02-24-2011 07:27 AM
Needless copying in iterations? James Stroud Python 22 09-17-2007 04:44 AM
optparse, needless argument, mac os x intel Aaron Smith Ruby 2 03-12-2007 06:39 AM
Needless casts? Joona I Palaste Java 15 04-25-2004 10:14 PM
More Needless single-user start-up choice Paul Hoberg Computer Support 1 08-14-2003 03:42 PM

Advertisments