Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Remote Procedure Call Service terminated unexpectedly?

Remote Procedure Call Service terminated unexpectedly?

Patrick D.

I have an XP 1600+ 512 MB, ECS K7S5A running XP Pro. It had been
running fine for a while, but it has started popping up an error
message that says "Windows must now restart because the Remote
Procedure Call(RPC) Service terminated unexpectedly." It says it was
authorized by Windows NT Authority or something like that and gives me
60 seconds to save my files and close programs.

What is the problem and how can I fix it? I am on Win98SE right
now(dual-boot), and just scanned my hard drive for viruses with the
latest AVG update, but found nothing.

Mcploppy ©

Go Here: http://www.tandmdigital.com/
--
Mcploppy ©

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me}
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ Download Messenger 6 http://tinyurl.com/h7co }

°Mike°

Curiouser and curiouser! This is the fifth time this question has been
asked in less than two hours...

The RPC Service Stops with Event ID 7031
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;327148

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:32:11 GMT, in
<Xns93D493DD893EBpdopdo@63.240.76.16>
Patrick D. scrawled:

>I have an XP 1600+ 512 MB, ECS K7S5A running XP Pro. It had been
>running fine for a while, but it has started popping up an error
>message that says "Windows must now restart because the Remote
>Procedure Call(RPC) Service terminated unexpectedly." It says it was
>authorized by Windows NT Authority or something like that and gives me
>60 seconds to save my files and close programs.
>
>What is the problem and how can I fix it? I am on Win98SE right
>now(dual-boot), and just scanned my hard drive for viruses with the
>latest AVG update, but found nothing.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:43:23 +0100, in
<bh8v18$v61t5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Mcploppy © scrawled:

> °Mike° bashed at the keyboard and said :
>
>> Curiouser and curiouser! This is the fifth time this question has
>> been asked in less than two hours...
>>

><snip>
>
>Picked this up from another NG
>
>> There is currently a virus spreading across the net which basically
>> leaves you open to hackers by using the RPC feature of Windows NT
>> based systems (NT/2000/XP).
>>
>> Symptoms of the virus are:
>>
>> Your computer will shut itself down and then restart in order to
>> allow the virus to finish propogating itself
>>
>> Antivirus software will NOT detect this as it is a modified version of
>> useful program code!
>>
>> Please all ensure that you have downloaded the critical system updates
>> supplied by Microsoft:

<snip>

>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

Thanks.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mcploppy ©

°Mike° bashed at the keyboard and said :

> <snip>

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

> Thanks.

You're Welcome

Patrick D.

Mcploppy © <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bh8v18$v61t5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> °Mike° bashed at the keyboard and said :
>
>> Curiouser and curiouser! This is the fifth time this question has
>> been asked in less than two hours...
>>

> <snip>
>
> Picked this up from another NG
>
>> There is currently a virus spreading across the net which basically
>> leaves you open to hackers by using the RPC feature of Windows NT
>> based systems (NT/2000/XP).
>>
>> Symptoms of the virus are:
>>
>> Your computer will shut itself down and then restart in order to
>> allow the virus to finish propogating itself
>>
>> Antivirus software will NOT detect this as it is a modified version
>> of useful program code!
>>
>> Please all ensure that you have downloaded the critical system
>> updates supplied by Microsoft:

Crap this is bad.
I'm struggling along with Win98SE, monitor at 40hz and mouse
unrecognized... I logged on to XP Pro to run the fix, but comp got
restarted while Setup was checking files..

Mcploppy ©

°Mike° bashed at the keyboard and said :

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:51:50 +0100, in
> <bh8vh2$100iiq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> Mcploppy © scrawled:
>

>> °Mike° bashed at the keyboard and said :
>>

>>> <snip>

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

>>> Thanks.

>> You're Welcome

> Sorry about the brain-fart typo of your nym, in the updated posts I
> made in the other threads... :-/

100 Lines: I must spell Mcploppy properly

Have 6 pints and then try and say it 10 times

°Mike°

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:01:55 +0100, in
<bh903v$v9stb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Mcploppy © scrawled:

> °Mike° bashed at the keyboard and said :

<snip>

>> Sorry about the brain-fart typo of your nym, in the updated posts I
>> made in the other threads... :-/

>100 Lines: I must spell Mcploppy properly

I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.

I'll pass on that one.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Kenny

It's all over the MS groups as well, look here:

--

Kenny

"Mcploppy ©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bh8vh2$100iiq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> °Mike° bashed at the keyboard and said :
>

> > <snip>

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...hnet/security/
bulletin/MS03-026.asp

> > Thanks.

> You're Welcome

Mcploppy ©

> [...]

> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
> I must spell Mcploppy properly. I must spell Mcploppy properly.
>
>> Have 6 pints and then try and say it 10 times

WITHOUT CUT ' N ' PASTE !!! :-0