Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Task bar disappears in W2K

Task bar disappears in W2K

patrick

I'm running W2K with all the sp's. I am able to boot to the desktop, watch
the taskbar icons load, watch the clock load and then watch the taskbar
disappear. I'm left with the picture I have as my desktop background with no
icons or taskbar.

I can't use the Microsoft key to start Start or get to explorer. I've tried
to put in my windows CD to reinstall and the drive isn't recognized. The
bootable disk and windows 2000 setup disks both come up with something about
how the file format isn't recognized. Re-setting BIOS to boot from CD
doesn't work.

I'm able to F8 on booting to safe mode command prompt. From there I've found
the files on my slave drive where I'd begun to store i386 files, etc. with
the idea to put together one of those CDs with all the updates. Is there
anything in those files I can use to get W2K to fix itself?