Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer won't start in mornings

Computer won't start in mornings

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Patrick continued:

> Broom Hilda wrote:
>> Slumpy stands for:......
>>
>> S.. Stupid
>> L... Little
>> U..Useless
>> M..Moronic
>> P..Prick
>> Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
>>
>> It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
>> wonderful NG a bad reputation.
>> Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

> Some folks don't even bother to read replies to thiere questions,
> never mind acknowledge them, so glad to see that your still with us
> (bla bla stuff).

Yes, I live for recognition, even from people who have a humour deficiency.
--
slumpy
no more

Ieuan Adams

news:muUZa.432$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...

> "Broom Hilda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:05OZa.699943$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings when I
> > wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white arrow on
> > black screen. The only way to start computer from this point is to

> manually
> > shut it down. It then starts, after scanning. This does not happen in

> the
> > day time when left alone for hours. I have disabled all scheduled

> programs
> > that run at night.
> > As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to do

> with
> > power settings.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
> >
> > TIA BH
> >
> > I think Slumpys suggestion of making it coffee will probably work. If

the
> coffee isnt enough, offer it a doughnut or bagel with the coffee. Dont

spoil
> it though, it might start asking for bacon and eggs.

A couple of suggestions which you may have heard before, if so I apologise.
Check the power saving settings, they may not be compatible with your
hardware, also check to see if there are specific ones for the night which
wouldn't then effect it during the day. Does a screen saver run at night
that doesn't during the day, try turning it off or switching to a very
standard one such as blank screen. I know there are problems between certain
ATI Radeon drivers and the 3D pipes screen saver, refer to the read me file
for the driver if you have this card as there's more detail there. Not
really my business, but does the computer actually need to be left on
overnight? Periodically restarting any OS (especially Windows, less so for
UNIX) is a good idea if you ask me since it forces the computer to do some
garbage collection and reorganise things. This is especially true of windows
98 which can run out of system resources if left on it's own, maybe the
computer has just keeled over during the night for this reason.
Hope some of this helps,
Ieuan

---
Outgoing mail is, to the best of my virus checkers knowledge, virus free.

Monsignor Larville Jones MD

"Broom Hilda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Slumpy stands for:......
>
>S.. Stupid
>L... Little
>U..Useless
>M..Moronic
>P..Prick
>Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
>
>It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this wonderful
>NG a bad reputation.

That's all this useless tit ever does.

>Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

--
zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

- Panama!"

- Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Broom Hilda wrote:
>> Slumpy stands for:......
>>
>> S.. Stupid
>> L... Little
>> U..Useless
>> M..Moronic
>> P..Prick
>> Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
>>
>> It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
>> wonderful NG a bad reputation.
>> Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

>Some folks don't even bother to read replies to thiere

"their"

> questions, never mind
>acknowledge them, so glad to see that your

"you're"

> still with us

There is no 'us'.

HTH

--
zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

- Panama!"

- Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

nemo

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f37b46e$0$218$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> Broom Hilda said:
>
> > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
> > when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright
> > white arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from
> > this point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after
> > scanning. This does not happen in the day time when left alone
> > for hours. I have disabled all scheduled programs that run at
> > night. As this does not happen during day I don't think it has
> > anything to do with power settings.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
> >
> > TIA BH

> No need to post your message a second time.
>
> I posted a link to Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems at your
> first post.

People make mistakes sometimes - even yourself. Be tolerant.

Boomer

nemo said:

> Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f37b46e$0$218$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
>> Broom Hilda said:
>>
>> > O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few
>> > mornings when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is
>> > a bright white arrow on black screen. The only way to start
>> > computer from this point is to manually shut it down. It then
>> > starts, after scanning. This does not happen in the day time
>> > when left alone for hours. I have disabled all scheduled
>> > programs that run at night. As this does not happen during day
>> > I don't think it has anything to do with power settings.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
>> >
>> > TIA BH

>> No need to post your message a second time.
>>
>> I posted a link to Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems at
>> your first post.
>>

> People make mistakes sometimes - even yourself. Be tolerant.

That wasn't tolerant? Maybe I should have done this
No need to post your message a second time.

Plus I told him where to look for the possible answer to his/her
question. In a reply to his original question.