Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer won't start in mornings

Computer won't start in mornings

Broom Hilda

O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings when I
wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white arrow on
black screen. The only way to start computer from this point is to manually
shut it down. It then starts, after scanning. This does not happen in the
day time when left alone for hours. I have disabled all scheduled programs
that run at night.
As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to do with
power settings.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6

TIA BH

Boomer

Broom Hilda said:

> O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
> when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright
> white arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from
> this point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after
> scanning. This does not happen in the day time when left alone
> for hours. I have disabled all scheduled programs that run at
> night. As this does not happen during day I don't think it has
> anything to do with power settings.
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
>
> TIA BH

No need to post your message a second time.

I posted a link to Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems at your
first post.

boy wonder

Broom Hilda wrote:
> O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
> when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white
> arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from this
> point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after scanning.
> This does not happen in the day time when left alone for hours. I
> have disabled all scheduled programs that run at night.
> As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to
> do with power settings.
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
>
> TIA BH

I had problems like that. They came from power management.
Just make sure you turn off any system suspend or standby options.
in a nice empty space on your desktop, rt-click, select
properties/screensavers/settings[energy saving features]/system standby make
it "never"
shutting down monitor ok, shutting down disk drives ok.
this is because pwr management was made for laptops where you want to save
battery life, the designers simply forgot to accomodate the typical desktop
computer [ imagine that ! ]
there might be other causes, but thats what it was for me, and others I have
helped.
--
the abominable toner
http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

°Mike°

See if this helps:

Cannot Wake Computer from Standby with USB
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;264386

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:52:44 GMT, in
<05OZa.699943$(E-Mail Removed) >
Broom Hilda scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Broom Hilda continued:

> O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings
> when I wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white
> arrow on black screen. The only way to start computer from this
> point is to manually shut it down. It then starts, after scanning.
> This does not happen in the day time when left alone for hours. I
> have disabled all scheduled programs that run at night.
> As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to
> do with power settings.
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
>
> TIA BH

I'm the same, wiggling my mouse never gets me going in the morning. Have you
tried playing music in another room and making it coffee ?
--
slumpy
no more

Rick

"Broom Hilda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05OZa.699943$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> O.K. I leave my computer on all night. For the last few mornings when I
> wiggle mouse to *wake-up* computer all I get is a bright white arrow on
> black screen. The only way to start computer from this point is to

manually
> shut it down. It then starts, after scanning. This does not happen in

the
> day time when left alone for hours. I have disabled all scheduled

programs
> that run at night.
> As this does not happen during day I don't think it has anything to do

with
> power settings.
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. OS 98se IE6
>
> TIA BH
>
> I think Slumpys suggestion of making it coffee will probably work. If the

coffee isnt enough, offer it a doughnut or bagel with the coffee. Dont spoil
it though, it might start asking for bacon and eggs.

Broom Hilda

Slumpy stands for:......

S.. Stupid
L... Little
U..Useless
M..Moronic
P..Prick
Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.

It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this wonderful
NG a bad reputation.
Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Broom Hilda continued:

> Slumpy stands for:......
>
> S.. Stupid
> L... Little
> U..Useless
> M..Moronic
> P..Prick
> Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
>
> It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
> wonderful NG a bad reputation.
> Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

Nag nag nag, anyone with a name like Hilda should put the vacuum cleaner
away, make a nice cuppa tea and **** Off You Boring **** With No Sense Of
Humour.

What a complete wanker, complains about bandwidth use, and can only come up
with the above. Tosser.
--
slumpy
no more

Barry OGrady

I know how it feels.

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Patrick

Broom Hilda wrote:
> Slumpy stands for:......
>
> S.. Stupid
> L... Little
> U..Useless
> M..Moronic
> P..Prick
> Y..25th letter of English alphabet = your I.Q.
>
> It is responses like yours, to a genuine question, that gives this
> wonderful NG a bad reputation.
> Quite using up bandwidth and get a life.

Some folks don't even bother to read replies to thiere questions, never mind
acknowledge them, so glad to see that your still with us (bla bla stuff).