Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Do cell antenna boosters work?

Do cell antenna boosters work?

nemo

a 32 bit process <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:43:52 GMT, "Brian"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
> >boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped

heh.
> >should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
> >comments by people who have used them
> >
> >i'll be with verizon, great plans!
> >

> It's crap; don't spend your money on it.

I don't want to seem a harbinger of doom again, but if you're talking about
a mobile phone, you're in enough danger from the radiation already without
wanting to boost it.

"More research is needed" my arse. It was all done years ago by our
magnificent Royal Signals amongst others. The manufacturers only said this
so they could wait until everyone is so dependent on the things that they
can't do without them - then when the tumours or whatever start to appear,
all they'll do is issue a warning saying not to use them quite so much.

It makes me cringe to see so many people, particularly youngsters, walking
about with 2 Watt 1GHz transmitters clasped to the sides of their heads.

We had enough trouble (well hushed up of course) when our (UK) police
started to get cataracts from radios with the aerials/antennae on top of the
microphones so they were right in front of their eyes when they were
transmitting - and they were only on 147MHz.

Nemo

nemo

Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

> Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
>
> [snip]
> --
> Think 'inductive loop'.

You mean like a reflector or director in a Yagi aerial??? But these use
helicals don't they?

Jimchip

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:44:51 GMT, nemo wrote:

> Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> > How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

>> Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>> [snip]
>> --
>> Think 'inductive loop'.

> You mean like a reflector or director in a Yagi aerial??? But these use
> helicals don't they?

It was strictly a comment on St00pid's statement "How can it work if
it's not connected to the antenna..."

--
Symptom: Drinking fails to give taste and satisfaction,
beer is unusually pale and clear.

Diagnosis: Glass empty.

Monsignor Larville Jones MD

"nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>a 32 bit process <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:43:52 GMT, "Brian"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
>> >boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped

>heh.
>> >should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
>> >comments by people who have used them
>> >
>> >i'll be with verizon, great plans!
>> >

>> It's crap; don't spend your money on it.

>I don't want to seem a harbinger of doom again, but if you're talking about
>a mobile phone, you're in enough danger from the radiation already without
>wanting to boost it.
>
>"More research is needed" my arse. It was all done years ago by our
>magnificent Royal Signals amongst others.

;o)

Are/were you a Signaller?

--
zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

- Panama!"

- Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

Tom Miller

Yes, at least 1 of the external antenna's I have used seems to work. My
other job is as a truck driver, so I see a lot of varying signal
strengths...

Tom

CH Studios CH Studios is offline
Junior Member

My saga began with throwing $400+ down a rat hole with one of this site's advertisers, CellAntenna. I purchased a Gemini08 SOHO system. It took months to get even the one page install sheet. I had an engineer install it in over 20 locations and rotate every degree in every location with absolutely no results. This was on a house in Denver. Not an extraordinary location or extraordinary structure. He then took it to Boulder and tried on two locations in a semi industrial building. The cheap AT&T cell booster already installed had a better result. The Gemini had no results and he concluded the product was defective but we had no testing equipment to verify. Attempts to find where to return the item were completely ignored by CellAntenna. I then sent the unit to the mountains with another engineer/aviation inspector who performed the same extensive install/testing with no results. Again, communications with CellAntenna have been ignored. I was then solicited by CellAntenna attempting to sell me more items and that provided me with an address to which I returned the item. USPS confirmed their receipt and still no communication with them. So may I warn all interested parties that this company sells defective equipment that they do not stand behind. They have no customer service. DO BUSINESS WITH CELLANTENNA AT YOUR OWN RISK.
By the way, I invested $250 in the Verizon cell booster, changed my service to Verizon and I at least have cell service inside my residence now.