Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Crashing - Windows XP - Device Drivers

Crashing - Windows XP - Device Drivers

Graham J Freer

I recently had a computer assembled, for me, by a friend. Almost from Day 1,
it has crashed - frequently 2 or 3 times a day.

At first, I was told that it might be because I had installed ACT! 6. So, I
uninstalled that program.

A number of individual drives are cited in successive crashes - ntfs.sys -
savrt.sys - npdriver.sys and, today's addition to the ever-growing list -
tcpip.sys.

The crash analysis suggests that I "disable the drivers". Am very nervous of
doing this, not least because I am in no way expert and fear that I might
cause other, more terminal effects. It also occurs to me that repeated
crashes could, in some way, affect my system and render a not inconsiderable
investment useless and wasted.

Is there anyone who might advise me?

Yours

Graham J Freer

°Mike°

You need to supply details of your machine, operating system,
and verbatim error messages. Failing that, ask your friend to
come over and sort out the mess.

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:52:30 +0100, in
<Cn4Za.425$(E-Mail Removed)>
Graham J Freer scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Tim

Did u or yr friend check the HCL with yr H/W?

"Graham J Freer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cn4Za.425$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently had a computer assembled, for me, by a friend. Almost from Day

1,
> it has crashed - frequently 2 or 3 times a day.
>
> At first, I was told that it might be because I had installed ACT! 6. So,

> uninstalled that program.
>
> A number of individual drives are cited in successive crashes - ntfs.sys -
> savrt.sys - npdriver.sys and, today's addition to the ever-growing list -
> tcpip.sys.
>
> The crash analysis suggests that I "disable the drivers". Am very nervous

of
> doing this, not least because I am in no way expert and fear that I might
> cause other, more terminal effects. It also occurs to me that repeated
> crashes could, in some way, affect my system and render a not

inconsiderable
> investment useless and wasted.
>
> Is there anyone who might advise me?
>
> Yours
>
> Graham J Freer

paul s

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:52:30 +0100, Graham J Freer wrote:

> I recently had a computer assembled, for me, by a friend. Almost from Day 1,
> it has crashed - frequently 2 or 3 times a day.
>
> At first, I was told that it might be because I had installed ACT! 6. So, I
> uninstalled that program.
>
> A number of individual drives are cited in successive crashes - ntfs.sys -
> savrt.sys - npdriver.sys and, today's addition to the ever-growing list -
> tcpip.sys.
>
> The crash analysis suggests that I "disable the drivers". Am very nervous of
> doing this, not least because I am in no way expert and fear that I might
> cause other, more terminal effects. It also occurs to me that repeated
> crashes could, in some way, affect my system and render a not inconsiderable
> investment useless and wasted.
>
> Is there anyone who might advise me?

Yup get your 'friend' to sort it. He/she built you the thing, he/she
should know what's going wrong.

--
Paul S
- If the enemy's in range...so are you! -

BananaPannaPoe

You have hardware conflict issues. Get a new friend.

"Graham J Freer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cn4Za.425$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently had a computer assembled, for me, by a friend. Almost from Day

1,
> it has crashed - frequently 2 or 3 times a day.
>
> At first, I was told that it might be because I had installed ACT! 6. So,

> uninstalled that program.
>
> A number of individual drives are cited in successive crashes - ntfs.sys -
> savrt.sys - npdriver.sys and, today's addition to the ever-growing list -
> tcpip.sys.
>
> The crash analysis suggests that I "disable the drivers". Am very nervous

of
> doing this, not least because I am in no way expert and fear that I might
> cause other, more terminal effects. It also occurs to me that repeated
> crashes could, in some way, affect my system and render a not

inconsiderable
> investment useless and wasted.
>
> Is there anyone who might advise me?
>
> Yours
>
> Graham J Freer

Me

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:52:30 +0100, "Graham J Freer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recently had a computer assembled, for me, by a friend. Almost from Day 1,
>it has crashed - frequently 2 or 3 times a day.
>
>At first, I was told that it might be because I had installed ACT! 6. So, I
>uninstalled that program.
>
>A number of individual drives are cited in successive crashes - ntfs.sys -
>savrt.sys - npdriver.sys and, today's addition to the ever-growing list -
>tcpip.sys.
>
>The crash analysis suggests that I "disable the drivers". Am very nervous of
>doing this, not least because I am in no way expert and fear that I might
>cause other, more terminal effects. It also occurs to me that repeated
>crashes could, in some way, affect my system and render a not inconsiderable
>investment useless and wasted.
>
>Is there anyone who might advise me?

Try using the system restore feature in XP and see if it can solve
things.

The mail id is valid, you need not make any modifications.

Monsignor Larville Jones MD

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Did u or yr friend check the HCL with yr H/W?

Wt t hl r u tkg n cd 4? Ths nt SMS.

--
zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...