Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Activity on a system that should be quiet

Activity on a system that should be quiet

Bob Suess

Hello,

This is the second attempt to post a message to this newsgroup so I
apologize if I just haven't been able to find the previous posting.

I have a Windows 98SE operating system and had thought I had closed all
activity on the system by closing all the programs except Explorer and
Systray (using <Ctrl-Alt-Del>). In addition I had turned off the cable
modem and had not opened Internet Explorer before making the backup
described below.

Could anyone tell me why, when I recently made that backup of my system,
using Microsoft Backup , the report of the process showed only 3 errors for
the entire backup process:

Error: C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat - busy
Error: C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat - busy
Error: C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat - busy

What is happening that these index.dat files are "busy" in a system that
looks as if it should be quiet?

Would this then prevent being able to use that backup to restore the Cookies
and History, and whatever that Content.IE5 was?

Thank you.

Bob

Unk

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 22:12:10 -0500, "Bob Suess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> This is the second attempt to post a message to this newsgroup so I
>apologize if I just haven't been able to find the previous posting.
>
> I have a Windows 98SE operating system and had thought I had closed all
>activity on the system by closing all the programs except Explorer and
>Systray (using <Ctrl-Alt-Del>). In addition I had turned off the cable
>modem and had not opened Internet Explorer before making the backup
>described below.
>
>Could anyone tell me why, when I recently made that backup of my system,
>using Microsoft Backup , the report of the process showed only 3 errors for
>the entire backup process:
>
>Error: C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat - busy
>Error: C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat - busy
>Error: C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat - busy
>
>What is happening that these index.dat files are "busy" in a system that
>looks as if it should be quiet?
>
>Would this then prevent being able to use that backup to restore the Cookies
>and History, and whatever that Content.IE5 was?
>
> Thank you.
>
>Bob

Because these are protected Windows files. They're "in use" by the operating
system itself. They can only be deleted in the DOS mode or by a batch file
before Windows starts. Windows will recreate them "on the fly" so don't
worry about them not being copied during the backup process.

Unk