Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE6 download query

IE6 download query

Philip SC

I'm running Windows 98se and IE6 with all the updates, and for some reason
when I download a zip from the web it automatically downloads to a temp
folder and opens it, rather than giving me the option to save it to disk,
which is the option I get with other file types.

I'm assuming I or one of my colleagues pressed a button at some point, but I
can't find the option to reset this.

Can someone help?

Many thanks.

why?

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:48:56 +0100, Philip SC wrote:

>I'm running Windows 98se and IE6 with all the updates, and for some reason
>when I download a zip from the web it automatically downloads to a temp
>folder and opens it, rather than giving me the option to save it to disk,
>which is the option I get with other file types.

>I'm assuming I or one of my colleagues pressed a button at some point, but I

Most likely the one that says on the download dialog box - Always ask
before opening this type of file.
>can't find the option to reset this.

You solved most of this yourself already.

ZIP file.
Option - Open the file / Save
File Types.

I don't have Win98se, however for,

My WinNT4 - Windows Explorer / View / Options / File Types /
Select WinZip file / Edit / tick - Confirm Open After Download.
then the usual OK/Apply to save and exit.

Win 2000 -
Windows Explorer /Tools / Folder Options / File Types /
Select WinZip file / Advanced / tick - Confirm Open After Download.
then the usual OK/Apply to save and exit.
<snip>

Me